XX

The morning light came uninvitingly into the bedroom. Drops were flowing down the glass of the window, racing with one another in a winless game. The city was unusually quiet in the early hours. Early birds just started waking up, the kettles were working on the stoves ready to serve hot drinks to the people.

Less than a month is required to build a habit. Years of waking up early with the alarm at the base made Amelia an early riser. Her sleepy eyes looked around the unfamiliar bedroom in the daylight, noticing more details around. The other side of the bed was cold, the blanket was covering her body and signaling about the emptiness in the bedroom. Price was an early bird too. A painful feeling as if a lump was stuck in her throat couldn't leave the brunette ever since the last night. Her emotions and feelings were always creating the weakest side of a woman, and in the magic of the night and while being at high top of her pleasure, Knight said the words of her feelings to the captain that she would regret in the morning when the haze of lust disappears.

While one part of her was regretting the decisions and words of the last night, the other wanted to do what Amelia was used to doing for years – to escape. Sometimes it is easier to escape the situation than face it. Before a woman could even realize it, her legs were taking her around the room, looking for the pieces of clothing that were thrown on the floor the night before. The mess on her head was hidden in the ponytail, and Knight was halfway done with her escape mission. Walking on her toes in the corridor, a brunette was getting closer to the door, before a voice could recognize anywhere stopped her.

"Good morning to you too, dove," Price turned around just for a moment, proving to himself that the noise he heard from the back while his hands were busy with the stove was not in his head. "Are you trying to escape now thinking I won't notice?"

"Well, I was hoping to," Amelia didn't see a point in lying. She turned back in defeat, ready to hear anything the captain was going to tell her.

"Breakfast is almost ready, grab a chair, Lia," John grabbed a couple of plates, as the eggs in the frying pan were surrounded by the bubbling hot oil.

A black coat of a woman found a new place on the corridor's wall. Price's voice was cold, as his phrase sounded more like an order than an invitation. It is possible to take the captain out from the battlefield, but the captain will always have a battlefield inside him. The plates were sitting on the wooden table, waiting for the two to finally start the breakfast, as the food was getting colder on the winter morning. 

"Did Johnny already tell you about Makarov and his muppets?" To the surprise of a brunette, the silence was broken by the man first. Breakfast was slowly disappearing from his plate. Life felt peaceful in the warm walls of the captain's house. But, the reminder of the brutal reality was constantly living in John's head, during the sunniest day and the coldest night.

"Not in detail. More in general, but yes," Of course, every mission they went to was eventually classified and buried deep into the archives away from the curious eyes. But, since the last time, Soap gave more details on the mission, giving a better understanding of an attack on a woman. Even with his long tongue, Johnny knew at what point to keep himself quiet.

"Your name is in the report on the last mission anyway," John took a sip of tea that was almost ice-cold from the time it was waiting for him at the table. For the first time in the whole morning, their eyes met in eye contact. Knowing that it would be an attempt full of failure, a woman tried to understand what was hiding behind the deep blue eyes, and happening inside of the captain's head. There was a note to his words she hadn't heard before, and it was worry.

"Why is it?" Knight couldn't find the reason why the report would mention her. The confusion was written all over the woman's face, as she finally took the first bite of breakfast from the plate in front of her. Her actions were not significant during the attack of evacuation from the base.

"When you have six people arriving at the military base from the other that was just attacked, you can't put five on paper," Price let their eyes meet once again, just for a quick moment, before his gaze fell onto the open shirt of a woman, noticing the mark that was left by him a night before. The captain couldn't help but let the smirk hide on the edge of his lips.

Silence took over the room like a snowstorm. The pressure between the two was flying with the coldness of the morning in the air. It felt as if the two had so much to say to each other, but yet decided to stay quiet. The captain was not planning on planning any games that morning, and as soon as the two were done with breakfast, empty white porcelain plates met with the cold surface of the sink. Price looked at a brunette, as the silence was getting louder with every passing second. Amelia was ready to leave. To her, there was no point in talking about their relationship any longer. They both knew where it would lead one day if none of them got killed out in the wild earlier. And knowing the odds, Knight would be the first to fall. But, the captain had other thoughts on his mind. The cold wooden surface of the table met with Amelia's body, as John sat her on the top of the table, not letting her escape the conversation. Her soft gasp in surprise finally broke the silence.

"I have a question for you, love," John's thumb fell onto her chin, making a woman look into his eyes and put all her attention to nothing around but him. "And you need to listen to whatever your brain says on this one, not to your heart. Are we clear?"

"Yes, John," A brunette was ready for anything a man she had strong feelings for was about to tell her. The wave of pressure mixed with nervousness rushed through her body, even though Amelia's face wasn't telling anything about it.

"If I ever needed you on the mission, would you join as a tactical med?" Price's voice was serious as if he was on the most important mission of his life, and Knight knew that there the captain would not joke about such things. Work was one of the most important things in his life, and they both knew that this question put her in a choice between the peaceful past and the unknown future. "

Yes, of course," The eye contact between the two was unbreakable, and the woman let the phrase out in one breath as if she was passing an exam.

"Trade your beautiful desk for the battlefield?" A soft chuckle escaped out of the man's lips. Even Price didn't expect to get a response from an officer so fast.

"It's nice to feel needed, I've been at the desk for way too long," Amelia shook her shoulders. She needed something new. A wave of fresh air from years of being stuck in the same place with similar tasks hunting her every day. It was an opportunity too good to refuse.

"Great. I've expected nothing less from you, dove," His hands were tenderly caressing the brunette's waist, as the satisfied smile appeared on the captain's face for the first time during the cloudy, gray morning.

"So when does the training start?" The woman's brown eyes were shining with excitement, as her hands landed on the strong shoulders of the captain, bringing a temporary, but warm feeling of security.

A smile stayed for a little longer on Price's face as the last phrase of a brunette reached his ears. John was good at reading people, and he knew that asking this question was the only right thing to do that morning. His deep blue eyes let go of eye contact between them just to land on a calendar. Days in London were always great and relaxing, just what John needed to escape on the days when his nightmares and traumas were taking him over. Hereford was not only home for the captain, but the headquarters of the SAS. Price enjoyed a proper pint at the pub and Liverpool to win another game, but he enjoyed his little office even more. Taking a needed break always felt good, but being back to work felt even better.