Chapter 29 || Questions Without Answers

"Everyone," Elle grabs our attention, preparing herself to make an announcement. Alec smiles and wraps his arm around Elle's waist, tugging her into him. She looks at Alec and grins, before averting her attention to us. A gigantic smile was spread on her face as she says, "Alec and I are dating."

Silence settles upon the table, until Chase stands up.

"I won. You owe me 20," he bursts out, looking at Reece and holding his arm out. Reece curses and begrudgingly takes out his wallet, smacking the money into Chase's hand. The group and I watch in silence as the exchange ensues.

Reece shrugs when he sees our slightly dazed and questioning expressions. "Chase bet that they would start dating before Bronte and Blake. I bet that neither would date."

"Why would you even care, Reece?" Blake asks, annoyance clear in his tone.

Reece rolls his eyes and looks away.

I avert my attention back to Elle and Alec, a smile slowly forming on my face when realisation begins to seep in. They were together. Like, together-together! "Oh my. I'm so happy for you guys!" I squeal. I fight away the urge of jumping up from my seat and hugging them. That would be a little dramatic.

I glance at Elle and give her a look that says we'll talk about the full story later. She nods her head and grins.

"Speaking of dates, Blake said you're going on one with Jack," Reece speaks up. His eyes flicker over to Blake, who glares at Reece, before averting his gaze to me and sending me a forced smile. I'm a little confused with the weird looks, but choose to ignore them anyway.

"Yeah!" I nod, scooping some salad and chewing. When I swallow, I speak again, "It's on Saturday night."

"What are you seeing?" Reece questions, his eyes, once again, flickering over to Blake.

"Jurassic World."

"That's great, Bronte! You guys would be a great couple," Reece beams, and I smile back at him, trying to make my expression look equally as enthusiastic as his.

I'm still a little hesitant about our date.

"You're out of Jack's league," Chase comments, and I frown at him.

"No, I'm not. Jack's great."

"He's a nerd," Chase comments.

Jack was a great guy. I didn't see how I was any better than him. He liked to study and he got amazing marks in school. That's something to be proud of. "Your point?" I challenge, arching an eyebrow. A small smile forms on Chase's face as he looks at me, obviously pleased.

"You're so aweso-" he begins.

"Blake, you're crushing your wrap," Alec speaks up, and our attention averts to Blake, whose hand was gripped firmly around his wrap, all the ingredients inside squeezing out. "You're hurting it. You monster."

"I don't care," Blake throws his wrap onto his lunch tray with a scowl. He sends Reece a not-so-subtle glare.

"Who's going to the party this Friday night?" Chase asks, changing the subject, "I heard it's gonna be fucking wild."

"Me," Blake responds.

"Blake," Reece sends him a look that only Blake, Alec and Chase seem to understand.

"What? It's not a problem anymore. Remember?" Blake nods his head in my direction.

"Guys, can you tell us what the hell you're talking about?" Elle asks, annoyed. I nod my head in agreement. It clearly has something to do with me, and I don't like having things hidden from me at all.