Chapter 33 || Detective Bronte

"What do you want Max?" I sigh in exasperation as I turn to him. He has been pestering me for the past 5 minutes - always kicking my chair and laughing with his friends like he was a goddamn comedian.

Childish idiot.

He ignores my question and kicks my chair again.

"Kick my chair again and I'll make you regret the day you were born." I've been working on my threats.

Max tilts his head amusedly and leans forward, suddenly intrigued by my threat. "You will?"

"... Yes." I respond. To be completely honest, I'm all talk and no action. But Max doesn't have to know that.

"I think you won't," he responds, before falling back in his chair, "Because you're weak."

I ball my fists and glare at him, "You're picking on a girl because she didn't want to get in your pants and consequently embarrassed you in front of your buddies," I retort, tilting my head and sending him a mocking smile, "If anyone is weak here, it would be you."

His friends laugh at that and mock him, and I send him a smug look. Max frowns and grumpily turns away from me. "Shut up," he snaps at them.

After lunch with Louise and the group, I was far too sad and exasperated to continue on with school. There's nothing that I wanted to do more than curl into my bed and cry. Blake still isn't talking to me and I am far too scared to talk to him myself because he has quite a temper whenever he is confronted by anything that he doesn't want to talk about.

So here I am in class, stuck with Max constantly pestering me while my Math teacher lectures us. I was staring up at the clock, waiting eagerly for the small hand to move to the 12 sign so that we can finally leave school.

That wasn't what I was eager for, however. I was eager to investigate more about Blake - and hopefully find out why everything has been so strange between he and Reece lately. I was tired of the secrets and unexplained arguments. Usually I wouldn't mind, but it was clear that this involved me and my business between Blake

Kick kick.

Frustrated, Elle besides me spins around to face Max and glare at him, "I will cut you," she hisses in a quiet voice.

"I'm sure you would," he replies mockingly, unconvinced of her threat.

I place my hand on Elle's shoulder and turn her to face me, "Its okay. Don't waste your time on that childish prick," I assure her, making sure that my voice was loud enough for Max to hear, "He's not even worth it."

Kick, "Shut the fuck up," he snaps loudly. The whole class turns to him and Ms. Patterson looks at him, astonished.

"How dare you talk to me like that!" she exclaims furiously. She points her finger to do the door, "Get out and go straight to the principal's office. Hopefully she will be able to sort out your terrible behaviour."

"Shit. No, Miss," he replies, "I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to-"

"Out," she insists, "Your behaviour lately has been disgusting. First, you fight with and curse at an innocent old lady while you're out in public, and now this?"

"That wasn't me!" he exclaims and I have to cover my laugh with a cough. So the old lady did follow through with complaining to the school. I will have to tell Blake about that as soon as he stops ignoring me.

Max stands up and snatches his bag off the floor, storming out of the classroom. I look at Elle, who is struggling to contain her laughter. I felt bad for feeling such satisfaction and joy in this situation. However, Max was a complete prick so I didn't feel too bad.