Chapter 1 || But I Like It Rough

"Are you sure you'll be okay without us?" Mom asks unsurely. She helps me fish my two suitcases out of the car before dropping them onto the pavement.

I smile reassuringly and nod my head, "Yeah, I'll be alright. It's just a couple weeks," I prop one of the suitcases onto its wheels and follow dad up the brick pathway towards the Parkers' house. Mom trails behind me with my other suitcase towed behind her.

"Before we leave for the airport tonight, we'll drop off your third suitcase. That should be enough for you to last a while until you need to get more stuff from home," she informs me.

"Okay," I agree, turning my head to glance up at my new home for the next 5 weeks.

The Parkers' house is quite sweet, surprisingly. It's a one story, bungalow-styled home with wide-bay windows and a small porch. The house has clearly undergone some renovation given its slightly modern appearance and the fresh-looking coat of light grey paint on the walls' weatherboard planks. It's hard to believe that Blake actually lives here given that he's so tough, rebellious and dangerous. I don't know what I was expecting - maybe a beaten-down caravan, a cardboard box or even a jail cell? I'm not sure, but I definitely wasn't expecting this.

Once reaching their front step, dad presses the doorbell and we wait at their front door in silence. No more than a second later, I hear the distant sound of footsteps and my breath hitches in my throat at the possibility that it may be Blake. The front door swings open, revealing none other than a grinning Marisa Parker. I exhale I breath I don't realise I'm holding.

"Hey guys. Welcome," she greets, striding up to us and hugging each of us individually. Once reaching me, she smiles warmly. Her smile is kind and comforting, and I manage to relax a little, "Hey Bronte, it's nice to see you again. Welcome to our home."

"Thank you for agreeing to letting me stay!" I beam at her.

She embraces me in a hug and then pulls away. Waving her hand nonchalantly, she replies, "Oh, it's fine, no big deal. I'll enjoy having a girl in the house for once. It can be tiring living with two males."

I smile in response and watch as the parents begin to catch up on old times with each other. It's nice seeing my parents with their friends. I know that sounds odd, but most of the time they're either hung up on work or taking care of me. Leading a social life definitely isn't a priority of theirs.

As the time passes by, I find my eyes wandering around the property and taking in the beautiful landscape again; all the bright, blooming flowers, and the cute little fountain sitting in front of the house. Marisa is apparently really into her gardening, mom had informed me when we first arrived.

"Come inside, guys. Jay's just out the back putting kebabs onto the barbecue. We'll have some lunch," Marisa states, breaking me out of my thoughts. She ushers us all inside.

▲ ▲ ▲

"Bronte, darling, we must be boring you out of your mind!" Marisa laughs, taking a sip of her wine as she sits at the kitchen island beside mom. Dad and Jay left half an hour ago to hang out in the 'Men's lair' - Aka, the pool table room, "Blake's just in his room down the hall, you tell him to come and join us. He can keep you company," she waves her hand at me, shooing me off.