Chapter 9 || How To Lie To Your Best Friend 101

"Oh my goodness," I breathe, slowly opening my tightly closed eyes. "That was amazing!" I laugh; slightly relieved and surprised that I had survived. I untangle my arms from his waist and hop off his bike, "I can't believe I just did that! Did you know that riding a motorcycle has been on my to-do list for ages?"

Blake hops off the bike, smirking down at me, "No, but I do now."

I grin and unclip my helmet, handing it over to him. "That was so cool. At one point I thought I was going to die. Scratch that. I felt like that the entire ride, but it was great!" I say, shaking out my arms and legs. They felt like jelly from how stiff I was throughout the ride.

Blake's smile only widens as he stares at me.

"Thanks for that, Blake," I break the silence between us, "That was really nice of you."

And just like that, as if something had clicked in his head, his expression drops. He glances around, noticing all the onlooking students. A scowl morphs onto his face, "Yeah, okay. But just because I had sex with you last night and drove you to school, it doesn't mean we're together. It was a one night stand," he bellows, making sure that his comment is loud enough for all the onlooking students to hear.

My smile immediately falls off my face and my eyes widen in shock as I stare at him; too shocked and paralysed to move, let alone speak.

He glances over at me and his satisfied smirk wavers the slightest. "Sorry," he mutters to me as he pushes past me and walks over to his group of friends who were leaning against the school building. Alec was shaking his head at Blake, and the other two, Chase and Reece, were just watching curiously.

"Come on," A voice says softly behind me. I turn to see Elle shaking her head sadly at me, "Come with me," she loops her arm in mine and ushers me over to the school building.

I stare down at my feet, my heart pounding as I feel the stares of all the students burn into me; some whispering, some gossiping wildly, and others just watching quietly. But over all the commotion, the only thing that was running through my mind was Blake and what he had done. He lied! Why would he do that?

I wasn't too fussed about the rumour, truthfully, I was mainly upset because Blake chose to spread such a lie so that he can hurt me. Ugh. Why is it that every time my faith restores in Blake, he does something that completely shatters those beliefs and brings me back to where I was in the beginning?

Elle pushes the two of us through the crowd and leads me over to the girl's bathroom. Upon our arrival, a few girls exit the room; leaving only us two. Elle immediately embraces me in a hug, "Let it out, Bront. Let it out," she coos.

I force a laugh and pull away from her, "I'm not gonna cry, Elle. I'm okay," I lie, "I'm just hurt."

Elle stares at me unsurely, "You're lying," she states; hugging me again, "You need to cry."

"Elle!" I protest, "I don't need to cry, I just.. I just want to talk."

"Okay," she sighs, "How do you feel? What happened? Will you be okay?"

"I'll be fine," I smile; laughing lightly, "You're acting like it's a big deal. It's not that bad. I just... I keep trusting him and I need to stop, I know that now."

Elle frowns at me, "That was horrible what he did. I saw the way you were looking at him and how happy you were with him before he, you know, flipped."

"If you're trying to imply that I have a crush on Blake, then stop right there," I hold a hand up to silence her, "I was happy and got a little too hopeful with him, that's all."

"What? Who said anything about a crush?" A sly grin forms on her face and I shake my head. She huffs, "You know, you don't need to act like you're okay, Bronte. Cry to me, rant about how much of an asshole he is, anything! Just don't conceal all your emotions, it's not healthy."

I stay silent, staring at Elle quietly. She was right; I shouldn't hold my feelings in. But I'm stronger than this and I'm going to let something so silly control me and my emotions. "I'm okay, honestly Elle. If I want to cry and babble about my hatred for Blake, you'll be the first person I go to. Okay?"

She sucks on her teeth before sighing defeatedly, "Alright."

And that, folks, is how you lie to your best friend.

▲ ▲ ▲

I'm currently in Geography class; tired because of my short sleep from last night, and numb because of the event that occurred this morning. I still couldn't get over it no matter how hard I tried to.

"Psst, Bronte!" A voice whispers, "Bronte!"

I lift my head from the desk, rub my eyes tiredly and glance back; surprised to see Alec smiling broadly at me. Beside him is Chase Linton.

Chase, like Alec, is a good friend of Blake. He's slept with most of the girls at our school, which is understandable given how attractive he is. With bright blue eyes, a dimply smile, and a cute and mischievous appearance despite being a notorious bad boy. He's a real flirt and, as some may put it, a player.

"Why are you whispering?" I ask Alec with furrowed eyebrows.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his eyes darting over to the classroom's door. A few minutes ago Ms. Williams had left the room to collect some papers for today's lesson, leaving our class to chat.

My eyebrows furrow, "Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?"

Alec shoots me a deadpanned look and I laugh, realising what he was talking about. "Oh yeah, that."

"Well?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I nod, smiling at him gratefully. "Just a little shocked, I guess. How's Blake?"

Alec and Chase shoot each other a knowing glance and I look at them in confusion.

"Blake wasn't lying when he said you were too nice, wasn't he?" Chase comments with a small laugh, the corner of his mouth tilting upwards.

"They don't call her Worthington's sweetheart for nothing," Alec informs Chase matter-of-fact; sending me a quick wink.

"Right, ha-ha," I laugh before clearing my throat, "So how was he?"

"Grumpy, as per usual," Alec rolls his eyes in annoyance, "Don't take what he says personally, though. He's been through shit and so he sort of/kind of, has a passionate hatred towards anyone who is happy."

"Ah."

"He'll calm down, babe," Chase interjects. At first I'm a little startled by him calling me babe, though from his nonchalant expression I assume that it's a nickname that just rolls off his tongue, "You just need to give him a chance. I know you think he's a fucking dick and all, which I guess he is, but when you get to know him he's not that bad. It just takes time, thats all."

"Yeah, okay," I nod with a smile, "And thank you guys for cheering me up and all. I appreciate it."

It was nice to think they had my back.

"No worries. We like you," Alec assures me with a grin.

"And for what it's worth, not many people believe you were just his one night stand," Chase informs me.

Hallelujah.

"You guys know that I didn't do anything with him... right?"

"Of course, babe," Chase confirms, "Blake hates you." 

My eyebrows rise at his blunt comment. 

"Chase is a very straight-forward person," Alec fills in, leaning forward to whisper, "Just ignore him. It's okay - He's used to it.

Chase hits Alec across the head with a laugh and I can't help but join in on the laughter as the two bicker on about who ignores who. I liked Blake friends. They're nice.

▲ ▲ ▲