Chapter 34 || The Night Of Prom

I exhale slowly, staring at my reflection in the mirror. I looked nice, I admit. I'm sure a lot of other girls would look even more incredible and be going full out for tonight's prom, but I had no reason to. It was just a night that I'd enjoy with my friends. I was indeed looking forward to it, but I wasn't my typical, over-cheerful self.

After a few hours of watching YouTube makeup tutorials, I ended up settling for a soft smoky-eye look with crimson red lipstick. I do admit that it took me multiple attempts to get it right, but once I did finally make the eyeshadow look somewhat acceptable, I was satisfied.

My normally-straight hair was curled and fell down my back in twirly locks. I had YouTube to thank for that, too. I had YouTube to thank for most of what I enhanced tonight, truthfully. I definitely did not look how I usually would.

I'm dressed in a crimson-red, singlet-sleeved dress that is fitted tightly to my body. The hem of the dress brushes my knees slightly and a small triangle is cut out in the fabric; centring my stomach. For shoes, I'm wearing plain nude heels. Chunky heels, not stiletto because I'm clumsy and would most likely fall in them 500 times and eventually sprain my ankle. Last of all, I have a clutch which matches the colour of my heels.

I walk downstairs to see my Mom and Dad already awaiting my arrival. They looked so excited and happy for me. I felt a little bad that I wasn't nearly as excited as they were.

I grin at them, "I'm all ready!" I enthuse, lifting my arms.

"Darling, you look beautiful," my mom gushes, skipping up to me excitedly and admiring my dress. Her eyes avert to my face and she smiles, "I have such a beautiful daughter. What did I do to deserve this?"

"Obviously something very bad," I answer, and she smiles quietly, her eyes beginning to cloud with tears of joy. It made me happy that she was happy, even if it was over something as small as prom. She turns back to my Dad.

"I love our daughter," she sniffles.

"Same," My dad responds.

"Gee dad, thanks so much. I'm touched. Seriously, I'm so humbled by your deep, loving words. I can tell you really had to dig deep to come up with such-"

A car horn from outside interrupts my speech, and I know who it is instantly. Elle and Alec were here to pick me up.

I look at my parents and grin, "That's my ride."

"Oh, but what about the photos?" my mom whines, presenting to me her camera. "I'd love a photo of you three."

"A photo of me third-wheeling?" I clarify.

"Let the children leave. There's always prom next year," my dad replies, and I give him a thankful smile as I hurry over to the front door.

"No," my mom protests, "I'm taking some photos of you Bronte. Whether you like it or not!" I can hear her hurrying towards me.

"Bye! I love you!" I call over my shoulder, before jogging over to the car in my awkward heels. I slide into the backseat and wriggle over to the middle seat, putting on my seatbelt, "Drive. Drive!" I click on my seatbelt and frown when I receive no response.

I then glance up to find Elle and Alec making out, clearly unaware of my presence. I lean forward and cheekily move closer to them with a grin, "Geez guys, save it for later tonight," I comment amusedly, which makes them jump apart. I wriggle my eyebrows suggestively and Elle sends me a hard glare.