Chapter 31 || What's New?

Short chapter. And by short, I mean shorter than my usual normal - which is normally short.

You might have to read that a few times.

I didn't actually plan on making this chapter. It wasn't even part of the original book, but since it got so many requests... I gave in.

I don't know if it's good. I've never done this P.O.V. before so I'm not sure if I did a good job, but oh well. Fuck it.

- M

▲ ▲ ▲

Blake's P.O.V.

Holy.

Shit.

I stare down at the phone in my hands in pure disbelief at what just happened. Holy shit.

"Holy shit," I mutter, glancing up from my phone to see Chase and Reece looking at me, both with questioning expressions. I don't bother answering their confused looks and just blink slowly.

She likes me? Bronte likes me?

Okay, but like... How?

"How in the fuck..." I breathe. I could feel my lips tugging into a smile, but I force myself to frown because I don't want to startle my friends.

"Why are you guys sending longing gazes at Blake?" Alec pipes up as he enters the room with a crate of more beer.

We are all currently sitting together in Chase's living room (that is literally the size of my house... literally) for a 'boys night in'. It sounds lame when I put it like that but it really isn't. I'm not actually lame once you get to know me.

"Blake is being weird," Chase responds.

"What's new?" Alec asks as he falls into the seat beside me.

I don't even bother glaring at Alec - too focused on the news that just hit me. Finally, I find the words to speak, "Fuck! Yes! She likes me!"

I don't even care that I sound like a ten year old to my friends because this is just way too fucking good. Bronte likes me back. I never ever thought that would be possible because she's so perfect and I'm, like, a piece of shit.

Good quality kinda shit, but shit nonetheless.

"Bronte?" Reece asks, raising an eyebrow at me and sending me a look which makes my happiness die down. I sink in my seat.

Dammit.

I couldn't date her even if I wanted to. If I do, I'll just end up doing more harm than good to her - and I really don't want to fuck her up. I grab myself a can of beer and open it grumpily. Fuck this. Why do I have to be such a fuck-up? If I was like Jack, everything would be so much easier for the two of us.

But I'm not Jack and I never will be.

"Why are you still here?" Chase asks me with a pointed look.

"What?"

"Shouldn't you be driving to Bronte's house right now so you can profess your love to her?"

"I don't love her," I reply quickly. At least I don't think I do.

"Blake I'm not stopping you from dating Bronte," Reece comments.

"You sort of are," Alec muses.

"No, I'm just stating facts. Blake is reckless and aggressive and he has never been in a serious relationship - and whenever he gets close to being in one, he fucks it up and ends up hurting the girl."

"Amy was hardly close to being serious," Chase scoffs.

"It seemed like they were in a pretty serious relationship at the time," Alec points out.

"That was ages ago, though," Chase argues, "And Bronte is a different story."

"She may be different to Amy, but that doesn't mean Blake is different," Reece points out and I try to resist the urge of punching him in the face because I know that he's right, "He's gonna fuck it up and Bronte's going to be the one who's hurting."

"But-" Chase tries to argue, though I cut him off.

"Reece is right. I know," I scowl begrudgingly, "Bronte and I are incomposite." 

"You mean incompatible," Reece corrects.

"Whatever. Incompatible," I roll my eyes at the obnoxious shit-head, "I'm not gonna date Bronte because that's selfish."

"But Blake," Alec starts in a sweet tone and I look at him, "You are selfish."

"You guys think so highly of me, it's so lovely," I reply sarcastically.

"Since when did you start saying lovely?" Chase cackles.

"Since he met Bronte," Alec sings.

"Have you guys noticed that Bronte's starting to swear now?" Chase points out, amused. I grin.

That was all me.

"Yeah, it's really weird," Alec replies, "She's like this complete angel and then, bam, she drops the f-bomb."

"Anyway," Chase clears his throat and turns back to me, "What are you going to do with Bronte? I was hoping you guys would go to prom together."

"Oh yeah, when is prom again?" I ask.

Chase sends me a flat look, "It's next week, you fucking nut. You guys need to vote for me to be prom king, too! I promise that if I become king, I will make sure that the canteen prices drop, there'll be less homework and that everyone in the school will get the new iPhone 7."

Did I mention Chase is filthy rich?

"Okay, Chase. A.) When your prom king you do not have any power to do that... Like... no power at all, and B.) For everyone in the school? You're fucking crazy," Reece laughs.

Chase bites on his nail and stares at the ground in thought, "Well shit, guys. I've already put up the campaign posters about that shit. I was wondering why none of the other nominees were doing that."

Alec shakes his head, ashamed of his friend, "And I thought I was the idiot one in the group."

"Okay, but let's get back to the real problem," Reece looks at me, "What are you going to do about Bronte?"

I groan, "I have no idea."

▲ ▲ ▲