Chapter 7 || Shake It Off

The second time walking around the school hallway with green hair isn't half as bad as the first, believe it or not.

People seem to move on pretty quickly with gossip and so I was no longer a hot topic. Well, it's that or maybe I've just gotten used to all the weird looks.

"You know, Max has been sending you longing gazes all through class," Elle whispers from the seat beside me, interrupting me from my thoughts.

We are currently in period 4 Math class, listening to Ms. Patterson lecture us on exponential and logarithmic functions.

"I've noticed," I comment with a small smile, "Now shhhh. We need to know this stuff for the test in two weeks."

As much as I am flattered that Max has been glancing my way during class, I don't want to discuss the topic with Elle. I'm confused (and a little dubious) about the whole 'Max-inviting-me-to-a-party' thing. Why the sudden interest? 

Maybe he really likes green.

"But Ms. Patterson is so boring," Elle groans, "I feel like sleeping."

"Don't be rude," I chide, "If everyone got their way, I'm sure we'd all be taking a nap right now, but that's not fair for Ms. Patterson or the students that do want to listen."

Elle waves a dismissive hand at me, "At the end of the day, she still gets paid. Who cares?"

"I hope that isn't talking I hear," Ms. Patterson calls, glancing over at Elle and I with a warning look. I slightly frown. Hey, I had your back.

Max glances my way, and for the first time in class our gazes cross paths. I send him a small smile and he returns the gesture before turning back to the front of the class to face Ms. Patterson.

"Brax, Bronx, Monte, Maxte, Mante..." Elle hums quietly, and I shoot her a weird glance. "I'm trying to come up with a good couple name for you and Max," she explains nonchalantly, "Brontax, Broax, Montax..." she continues.

This was going to be a long day.

▲ ▲ ▲

"Thanks for the help, Bronte," Chris states, "Real helpful. I'm starting to understand math better now, which is great because then I won't need to be tutored anymore," Chris stands up with a lazy smile on his face.

"That's great, Chris," I reply as I gather my books. Chris is a guy that I tutor for History. He's a wild, party kind of guy that only ever worries about getting girls, getting drunk and getting high. "It's great to know that my History lessons have helped you with your Math."

My comment doesn't faze Chris and he sends me a smile, "Yeah. Okay, goodbye," and then he leaves.

I make my way to the cafeteria and when I arrive at my table, Elle speaks immediately, "I think I might vomit," she mumbles, gazing over at Blake - correction - Blake and a leggy blonde who sits on his lap with her clothes and hair disheveled. The two were playing an intense game of tongue hockey, if you know what I mean.

"Just look away," I laugh as I pull my sandwich out of my bag and take a bite out of it. Jealousy flares within me. So he isn't mean to her - A girl he just met.

"I've just lost my appetite," Elle declares, pushing her lunch tray away from her.

"Suit yourself," I smile, fetching her small bucket of fries and sitting it in front of me.

Elle shoots me a look of annoyance, "Tell me this isn't annoying you," she waves her hand in Blake and Blondie's direction.

"This isn't annoying me," I state with a sly smile, "He can do what he likes. It's not the first time he's done that, anyway. Remember? He used to make out with girls all the time."