Chapter 3 - No One Understands

Liam's POV

A whole lot of introductions and stares later, I was finally home bound. I considered waiting for the other boys to finish up with their classes, but I decided against it. Louis would be bitter for a minute, but I knew he would forgive me. He would understand that I felt like spending some time alone for a little bit. The events of this morning were still fresh on my mind. So much for staying on the down low.

The minute I stepped outside, the smell of freshly mowed grass hit me. It seemed to wake up my senses that had dulled from spending so long listening to lecture after lecture and introducing myself to people who already knew my name. There was really only one person I wanted to introduce myself to and it was just my luck that she wasn't in any of my classes.

I kicked at a pebble and stuck my hands into my pockets. It was only spring, but a cold breeze blew across campus. I wondered if it was about to rain.

I was halfway back to the apartment the boys and I were sharing when I found a piece of paper on the ground. Was it really that hard for people to pick up after themselves? I picked it up and was about to toss it into the nearest trash can when it fluttered open and I caught the title scribbled on it.

I was surprised when it turned out to be a poem. I considered not reading it for a moment, but I couldn't help it, curiosity overtook me. I read it to myself silently in my head.

No one understands

A world of quicksand

I'm sinking, fast, deeply

No one to save me

Try and you'll sink too

You know it is true

This is how it's supposed to be

Don't try to save me

I turned the paper around, but the poem stopped there. No name, no nothing. I glanced around, but no one was around. The poem felt wrong in my hands, I felt like I read something I shouldn't have. These were someone else's private thoughts, but yet, I felt like I was meant to read it.

I thought about this person's words. They seemed to be suffering and alone. I thought back to how I felt before I met the boys and the whole world knew who we were. Lonely nights in my room wondering how I was supposed to have my whole life sorted out when I couldn't even sort my own thoughts out. I didn't even have a single friend and now I had four.

I never even thought for a second that I would end up where I was now. Girls screaming. Our names written on every single poster board in sight. Our faces on their phones, TV, posters, and everything else we could possibly end up on. People I've never met before knowing more about me than I knew about me. And I was grateful for all of it, but at the end of the day, I still felt that loneliness deep down. All these people knew so much about me, but they didn't really truly know me. I understood. I wished I could tell this person I did.

I folded the poem back into its original form and tucked it carefully into my pockets. I decided right then and there that I needed to find this person and let them know that they were not alone.

Aubrey's POV

I was a nervous wreck waiting for Owen to get home. My fingers tapped against my thighs as I sat on his bed that I just made. I was so antsy that I got up and started pacing his room instead. I reorganized the books and straightened out the paper on his desk. I was about to sit back on his bed when I noticed an envelope on his desk. I was reaching for it when the door opened and Owen walked in.