Chapter 33 - Irresistible

Aubrey's POV

I throw the rest of the last minute stuff into the small duffel bag Layla threw at me.

I glance around and sigh. I was going to have to leave so much behind.

Liam included, too.

I get down on my knees and look under my bed to see if there was anything else I needed to bring.

Since it was close to being midnight, it was dark in my room, and the small lamp in my room wasn't helping much, but only giving me a dim shadow of light.

My hand fumbles under my bed until I touch something hard.

I lean a bit under my bed and pull the object out.

It was my box of poems.

I open the top and pull out the stack of poems I wrote.

They felt so delicate in my hands as I looked each of them over, wondering what changed between then and now, until an envelope falls out when I tidy the stack a little better to make it look nearter.

I set aside the stack of poems and pick up the envelope, squinting at it because it was so dark, and trying to be as quiet as possible because of all the shuffling papers that would wake up the idiots, and get me into trouble.

After a few seconds, I finally make out the words: To: Aubrey, From: Owen.

I stare at the words and rub my eyes. It was from Owen?

The date in the corner of the envelope wasn't that far away from his death. A couple weeks ago maybe.

I peel it open gently and take out the contents ever so carefully.

A stack on neatly tidied money falls out.

I stare at it in disbelief. All of them had Benjamin Franklin's face on it.

This made no sense.

Where did all this money come from?

Something else falls out.

A piece of paper.

I pick it up, and with my hands shaking, I read the last words Owen left me in his neat handwriting in the dark:

Dear Aubrey,

I know things haven't been easy the last few weeks. Or for the last couple of years. I know that you haven't been telling me everything that has been going on in your life, but I know why. And I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. You remember all those late nights I stayed at the cafe working? Well, here's all of it. And no, don't give it to mom or the others. It's just for you. This is everything that she ever stole from you. Please Aubrey, keep every single cent of it. But to move on to the happy part,

I stop reading. There was a happy part?

I keep reading, trying to understand what Owen was trying to tell me:

But to move on to the happy part, I honestly think that that boy you've been hanging around, I think his name was like Liam or something, he's pretty cute. And like the psychic I am, I know you like him, too. My point is, I think you should stay with him. You seem happier with him. Don't think that I haven't noticed that. I have. And I think I heard you mumbling his name one night... Haven't gotten over your sleep talking habit, have you?

I put down the letter and smile. That sneaky brother of mine.

I'm just messing with you. Hmmm, now I have to think of some smartass last-word-ending. How about...Go with Liam and be happy.