Chapter 27 - Save You

Liam's POV

The minute I hear a heartbeat, I exhale.

It's faint, but it's better than nothing.

I reach for the phone in my pocket automatically, but it's no use. It's dead.

I glance around us, searching for help, but the closest thing to us is the bridge and it's empty. There are no houses nearby that I can see either, tall trees surround us everywhere blocking out my view. The trail is empty, too.

If I was going to find any help, the bridge was my best bet. I look back down at Aubrey and try to collect my thoughts. I could carry her up with me, but she would slow me down, delaying the help she needs. Besides, I don't know how badly hurt she is and by moving her, I could hurt her more. My mind battles with itself, trying to figure out what to do.

I finally decide that I have to leave her behind.

Grabbing her hand, I say, "Don't worry, Aubrey, I'm going to go find us some help." I don't know if she hears or not, but I don't have time to wonder. I start running for the bridge.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a car approaching the bridge. Shit. I was still too far to be seen and there was no telling if the car would stop for me. I pick up my pace and start waving my arms; the car doesn't seem to slow down at all. I already know it's a terrible idea before I do it, but I do it anyways. I'm in the middle of the street before I know it, waving my arms.

The person in the car slams on the brakes, stopping a few feet from me. I run over to the car and she lowers her window, looking alarmed.

I'm highly aware of how I must appear to her when I reach the passenger's side's window. I'm drenched from head to toe and I must look crazy. I feel crazy.

The words rush out of me. "Ma'am, I'm so sorry, but I need you to call 911 right now. There's a girl, she's just jumped off a bridge and..." My words slow to a stop when I notice a kid in the backseat staring.

The woman tries to calm me down. "Honey, it's okay. I'm calling right now, okay?" She holds up her phone as proof and holds it to her ear. Her eyes dart between me and the child.

"Yes," she says into the phone, "please come quickly." She quickly gives them the location, exchanges a few more words with them, and hangs up. She looks at me, "They're coming, do you want to wait with us?"

I shake my head. I have to get back to Aubrey.

"Are you sure?" she asks again. "You must be freezing cold." I look down at myself and see that my hands are shaking. Goosebumps run up and down my arms as well and I quickly wrap my arms around myself to hide them. I don't want to trouble her any more than I already have.

"No, it's okay." I back away from the car. "Thank you for all your help, though." And then I'm off running again, back down the bridge to where Aubrey is.

The ambulance shows up minutes later. They surround her, pulling me away from her. I don't want to leave her but a medic pulls me to the side, assuring me that she'll be okay and that she needs to check me over, too.

Within a few seconds of seating me down in the ambulance, a police officer is next to me asking me questions. What happened? How did it happen? How did I find her? Do I know why she jumped? How long has she been out? I answer as many as I can, but I can't answer most of them. I end up answering with "I don't know" to most of them.

The woman finishes checking me over and seems satisfied. I seem to be okay as far as physically she concludes. I ask if I can go check on Aubrey now, but she shakes her head.

"It's better if you stay here and let them do their job." she says.

The officer continues to ask his questions, writing down my answers even though I can't offer anything helpful. I'm still watching Aubrey when the officer asks a question that catches me off guard.

"What is your relationship with Aubrey Scotts?"

I open my mouth to answer, but I'm not even sure what to say. Strangers? Acquaintances? I finally settle on friend.

He nods and writes that down, too. "Thank you for your help, Liam. Is there anyone you want us to call for you?" I shake my head and wrap the blanket they gave me tighter around my shoulders. Now that I've finally calmed down a little, every breeze that passes by seems to seep into my skin.

"Liam?"

I turn over and see Louis walking over with his phone in his hand. He's parked haphazardly next to one of the many police cars, but he doesn't seem to care. The police officer sees him too and nods at me, walking away. The medic does the same, leaving us to talk alone.

"Louis?" I say questioningly.

He walks over to me and pulls me into a hug. My hands stay crushed by my side. I'm so shocked that I don't react.

"Are you okay?" he asks, pulling back to look at me. "What the bloody hell happened?"

"I don't know, it's a long story," I say. "How are you here?"

"The boys and I figured something was wrong when you ran out of the gym and didn't come back or answer your phone. And then I got a call from the police saying that there was some emergency and I just drove here immediately." He looks me over again. "Did you seriously just jump off a bridge?"

It sounds absurd coming from his mouth. It only now dawns on me that not an hour ago, I jumped off a bridge. And I'm still here. I'm still alive.

He shakes his head at me. "I always knew you were crazy, but I didn't think you were that crazy." I don't say anything and he sighs. "I'm just glad that you're okay."

"Thank you for coming," I say.

"What are friends for?" he says without a beat and in that moment, it's like our whole fight has been erased.

"Is she okay?" he asks, looking down at his feet and then up at me. I shrug and we both turn to see the medics hauling the stretcher into the ambulance next to the one I'm in. She's still completely surrounded by medics that I can't see her face.

I hop off the ambulance I'm sitting in and walk over to one of the medics standing by the ambulance Aubrey's in.

"Can I go with her?"

The medic shakes his head. "Go home. It's been a long day for you, you should get some rest. You can come see her tomorrow." He closes the ambulance door and walks to the passenger's side of the car. Louis comes over and stands next to me, watching as the ambulance drives away.

He puts an arm around my shoulders. "C'mon, let's go home. I'll drive."

I reluctantly follow him to the car. He already has the heater blasting when I get in. I look over at him when he doesn't start the ignition immediately.

"She's going to be okay." he states, like it's a fact and not a big fat question mark. I nod, even as her face comes to mind. I want to believe him. I want to believe him because it's Louis and he's never wrong, and because I don't want to know what it means if he is.

A/N: Hey! I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in such a long time! Be sure to check out my new story "Words Unspoken"! Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!