Chapter 9 - Something's Going On

Aubrey's POV

Friday came too soon, and by then, it was beginning to dawn on me that my poem might actually be gone.

A car honked outside and I jumped. I glanced at the alarm clock. 5:00 pm. They were right on time.

I glanced over myself again in the mirror and took a deep breath. It was just a party. I would be fine. With that, I threw on my flip-flops and grabbed my sunglasses as I headed out to join the others.

"Hey Ella!" one of them yelled over the music playing from the speakers. I think her name was Hailey.

"Yo Ella," Nathan shouted, pulling down his sunglasses to look me over. Isaac waved at me. His dark hair fell over his eyes with the motion. Taylor just smiled. Her arm lounged easily over the driver seat's rolled-down window, her shiny blonde hair tossed over her seat. Unbothered. It was something I strived to be.

I jogged over and Riley flashed me one of her rare smiles, pushing the door open for me. I could barely fit in. This car was not meant for six people.

I've barely sat down when Hailey held out her phone, scrolling through her Twitter. "So, did you guys hear that Liam from One Direction is trying to find some poem girl?" She showed the phone to Riley who nodded excitedly. I frowned. Didn't Taylor ask them to leave their phones behind too?

Nathan joined in on the conversation. "Yeah, who hasn't? There was like pie everywhere in the cafeteria and the airhorns were kind of hard to ignore."

Isaac nudged Nathan, "Did you see that one girl who cried afterwards?" Nathan laughed and nodded and the two of them broke out into a side conversation.

I turned to the girls, forgetting about the phone situation. "What are you guys talking about?" I asked, unable to keep the shakiness out of my voice. Some poem girl.

"Oh, you haven't heard?" Riley asked. With precise movements, she pulled her hair into a ponytail. When I shook my head, she lifted her chin up at Hailey and Hailey leaned over to show me her phone.

"Well, so you know Liam?" Hailey asked.

Riley rolled her eyes. "Everyone knows Liam." Hailey pretended not to hear.

I nodded. "I've heard of him."

"Well, he met some girl somewhere and then he found some poem she left behind. Now he wants to return it, so he and his friend Louis set up a table to find the girl. The problem is," Riley takes a breath, "that he met her for like five minutes and never got her name so he's having a hard time. Every girl is showing up to his table coming up with random poem titles. I personally don't think he'll ever find her." she shrugged. "Kind of sad, but what did he expect. He's famous. She's not."

Hailey continued, "Kind of strange that she hasn't shown up yet. You would think that she would, after all, who wouldn't kill to have the Liam Payne to themselves?" She pulled out a blood-red lipstick and smeared it over her lips, checking her reflection on her phone.

It was all I could do to just nod along and not lose my nerve. "When is he leaving?" I asked.

"I think it's like sometime between next week and now." Taylor replied from the driver's seat.

Next week?

"Hey, why are you girls so interested in him? I mean, I know he's got money, but you've got me," Nathan interrupted, putting his arm on his chair and turning back to look at Hailey with a look of pure jealousy.

"Who's jealous?" Hailey teased him.

Nathan pretended not to hear and turned back around to sulk. Isaac looked over at Nathan and said, "Tough luck." Then he turned back to look at Riley, "You're not into him, too, are you?"