Chapter 34 - Airplanes

Aubrey's POV

I stay in Liam's arms for a while, staring up at the stars, with my heart aching because I knew what I had to do next.

As soon as his breath on my neck becomes nothing more than a small tickle, I carefully reach my arm over and unwrap his arm from my body. The morning cold almost immediately steals his warmth from me.

His breathing hitches and I freeze, scared to wake him up. When his breathing steadies again, I quickly put his arm back beside himself and get up as quietly as possible, careful to not wake him up.

As I get up and turn my back on him, I think about what I am leaving behind.

I don't want to. I know I shouldn't because it would just make things all that harder. But I'm weak and I turn back again and kneel down next to his sleeping body, trying to memorize every single part of him. I hadn't let myself admit it until now, but I was terrified of forgetting what he looked like, what it felt like to be with him. His chest rises up and down in between peaceful breaths and his hair looks so soft, practically begging me to run my fingers through them. I hold my breath and close my eyes, allowing myself one last kiss that he won't even remember when he wakes up. A tear falls onto his face, but I can't risk wiping it off.

"Goodbye." I whisper and then I'm gone.

Liam's POV

I feel a drip on my face. Then another. And then another one.

Then I feel someone shaking my shoulder.

"Mate, wake up," the drips stop falling on me.

I open my eyes and blink.

I look around in a daze. It's raining, and Louis and the others are right in front of me all holding up umbrellas looking concerned.

"Aubrey..." I mumble, wiping the rain out of my eyes. I turn over to look at where she was before.

"Aubrey? No one's here, but you," Harry says, confused.

"What the bloody hell are you doing, sleeping outside in the rain? Are you trying to catch a cold?" Niall asks me sarcastically.

"And what has Aubrey got to do with it?" Zayn asks.

"She's not..." I sit up and look around, trying to see if they were messing with me or something.

Then I remember.

I stand up quickly. "No, she couldn't have..." I murmur. I push the boys aside and look around in a circle.

"Li?" Louis asks me, holding the umbrella up for himself and me. I push it away from me and the rain continues to fall on me, but I don't care anymore.

"Liam?" Zayn asks me.

"What's going on?" Harry asks me.

There was nothing much I could lose now, so I blurt out everything to them, "Aubrey said she was leaving, but she never told me when! She just kept telling me soon, soon, and soon. But I never thought soon meant... now." I rush through my words. I had no time to lose. I look to Louis. "How fast can you drive?"

Louis smirks at me and I immediately regret asking him that question.

A few minutes later, we're all buckled messily in Louis's car and speeding down the highway.

I clutch onto my door handle. "Isn't this a bit fast?" I shout to Louis, because he rolled down the windows and the wind rushing in makes everything harder to hear.

He reaches over and pats my shoulder. "Mate, I-" I quickly cut him off.

"Get your hands off of me and drive!" I shout over the wind.