Chapter 26 - How To Save A Life

Aubrey's POV

It's been forever since I've been on this bridge.

Once upon a time it was a shade of red, garnet maybe, but over the years its rusted and become more of a dirty brown color than red. I can't remember the last time I was here. It was probably with Owen. After all, he was the one who showed me this place.

Hardly anyone uses this bridge anymore. A newer one was built a few years back and this one was forgotten as a result. I would've too, but as I ran from the school, I somehow found myself here.

The last time Owen brought me here was the anniversary of my father's death. We had sat down by the bank watching the water in silence. Owen skipped rocks while I watched. Skipping rocks was never my strong suit even though Owen offered to teach me every time we were near a body of water. Everything was peaceful then. How quickly things change.

A lone car passes me by the bridge without stopping. There was no reason to. Nothing was out of ordinary. To any passerby, it would just look like I was taking a stroll across the bridge, enjoying the nice day it was. And it is, the sky is as blue as ever.

I stop walking and lean against the railing. A slight breeze picks up my hair and I close my eyes, breathing in the sharp air around me. The sun feels perfect on my skin. It's so nice out today.

My mind can't help but drift to Liam. Liam and his amazing brown eyes. Liam and his perfect smile. Liam who always seemed to show up at the right time. Liam, Liam, Liam. Liam who hates me now. I don't blame him; I had no reason to like me either.

I bet he regrets spending all that time looking for me now. The person he had fell for was Ella, not me. Ella who didn't exist, who was just someone I wished I could be. The sun starts to burn on my skin and I open my eyes, eyeing the water below me. The cool water suddenly looks inviting. I climb over the rail without thinking about it.

The water rushes below me, crashing against the larger rocks. Tears slip off my face, running down my cheeks. I don't wipe them away.

I listen to the waves crashing against the rocks for some time, letting them calm me. I keep expecting to hear the sound of a car rush by on the bridge, but it's quiet except for the waves. Good, I think to myself, no one will be able to stop me then.

Owen comes to mind right then, but I force myself to ignore him. He wasn't here anymore, he couldn't tell me what to do. But his voice doesn't go away inside my head. I want to scream. Why won't he just let me do it? Why won't he let me go? Why won't he leave me alone?

It doesn't matter anyways. My heart is pounding so fast that I can't even hear what he says. I shift my feet, holding on carefully to the rails behind me with both hands. Just the slightest push and it would all end. All this hurt and loneliness would be gone. I tease myself by inching my hand off the railing my hands had been holding onto.

I take a deep breath and try to rid all thoughts inside my head, but every time I manage to get rid of a thought, another one quickly replaces it. I hear Owen's voice in my head again, but this time it's a memory from long ago. We were sitting in his room watching television. The lead woman was crying, begging the man in front of her to stay. He was already packed though, and her cries fell on deaf ears. Owen leaned in then and said that she should've thought it through before she lied, maybe then the man would've stayed. If only Owen knew what I'd done, the mess I had created all on my own.

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I was never Ella Evans. Would things still have turned out the way they did? Would Owen still be here? Would Liam still hate me? I can't believe that for a second, I thought I could have it all.