Chapter 32 - Paparazzi

Aubrey's POV

I turn around and wave goodbye to Liam as he drives back to his apartment, waving at me, too.

I dig through my black purse for the house key and when I find it, I slide it through the door's keyhoe and unlock it with a smile embedded onto my face from the lingering kiss Liam left me with.

I feel like dancing my way in, but I stop short because as soon as I enter the room, Layla throws me a duffel bag and says, "Pack up what you need. Leave what you don't need. We're moving."

The forever embedded smile immediately leaves as soon as her words are out in the air.

"What do you mean 'we're moving'?" I ask her.

She stands up and brushes her hair away from her face. Then she puts her hands on her hips.

"What do you not get? We're moving. Moving means we're moving to somewhere else. We're leaving this house. Leaving this state. Moving." Layla snaps at me.

I feel like I've been shot in the heart and then the head, run over by a train and then a bus, and then fell into a burning, hot fire.

"Why?" I ask her, my voice shaking.

"God Aubrey, what do you not understand? Do you have to question every decision I make for this family? Have you not noticed all the deaths occuring in this oneparticular city? Too many deaths here, Aubrey. Your father died, and now Owen's dead, too. And then you decided to just go jump off a bridge. We're moving, alright? End of discussion." she says, shouting a little.

"Why is it that every single time that I finally find a real place that I can call home, you just come and  take it away?" I ask her, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. "Every single time?"

She looks up from her spilling and piling bag that she was trying to stuff, and says, "I said, 'end of discussion'. I don't want to talk about it."

"Then what do you want to talk about?" I snap.

My hands shake. I look at her one last time before running up the stairs and disappearing into my room.

Liam's POV

I smile and tap to the music with my fingers on the steering wheel.

I kissed her. I kissed Aubrey. I kissed her!

I smile at the road in front of me.

My phone beeps, telling me that I have recieved a new text message.

1 new text message:

Aubrey: Liam?

I pull over to a curb and grab my phone.

It was Aubrey! I smile again, but this time at my phone, thinking that maybe she could see it through the phone, and see how happy I was.

I quickly answer back with:

Me: Yeah?

Aubrey <3: I'm so sorry.

Me: Sorry? About what?

My heartbeat quickens, waiting for her to reply and tell me what she was sorry about. Maybe the kiss was too soon. Maybe...

Aubrey: We're moving.

Me: Moving?

Aubrey: I am so sorry.

Me: I'm going back to ur house right now.