Chapter 15 - Heartstopper

Aubrey's POV

I slump down against Owen's passenger seat in his car and wait for him to come out. The dashboard clock reads 7:22. Eight minutes left before the first bell rings. And they're still no sign of Owen.

I open the door and get out.

I walk towards the front door and just as I set my hand down on the doorknob, the door swings open.

"Aubrey!" he exclaims.

I cross my arms. "Where have you been? I have seven minutes left befores school starts. Do you really want me to be late?" I ask.

"Change of plans. I can't, uh, take you anymore," he says.

"Why not?" I ask, hurt filling the air around the both of us.

"Because, um, look Aubrey, it's complicated and you don't need to know that," he stumbles over his words and shoves his hands in his jeans' pocket.

"Owen? What's happened to you? I don't even think I know you anymore." I say.

"Deep Aubrey, that was real deep." he brushes my comment off.

"Owen, please, tell me what's going on," I plead, not even caring that I sounded like a baby anymore.

"I said I don't want to talk about it, okay? Now leave me alone!" he growls at me.

"How am I supposed to get to school then?" I ask.

"Take a bus, ask Layla, how do you think Perrie and Eleanor get to school?" his voice sounds so sarcastic and it bites me hard.

"Fine, Owen. Just one more thing," I breath in and exhale. "tell me when the real Owen's back because I miss him."

I have to admit because it hurt so much that he didn't call me back.

To tell me that he was sorry and that everything was going to be alright.

No, I was not okay because he didn't do any of that, and I was too afraid to turn around and watch his face for emotion.

I walk up the stairs and waited at the very last room.

Taking a deep breath, I knock on it and wait for Layla's response.

"Come in, and this better be good, Aubrey," she says.

I slowly open the door and walk in, careful not to step on any of the piles of dirty clothes scattered on the floor.

Layla spins around in her chair and faces me.

"What do you want, child?" she growls. Seemed like everyone was growling at me today.

"I, uh," I clear my throat. "I need a ride to school,"

And surprisingly, she doesn't question me and gets up from her chair and grabs her purse.

"Aren't you going to ask me why he isn't taking me?" I ask.

She doesn't answer me and moves past me and down the stairs.

A few minutes later I hear her call up the stairs. "Aubrey! Do you want a ride or not?"

"Coming!" I call and quickly make my way down the stairs and out the front door and into her car.

The ride was fast and I arrive at my school in no time.

"Thanks for the ride," I say, swinging my book bag over my shoulder.

She doesn't say anything and drives off.

Fine then, don't answer me like everyone else.

I walk the stairs up into the school and walk into the school.