Chapter 29 - Stronger

Aubrey's POV

When I open my eyes, the first thing I see is Liam.

He's sitting in the corner, a notebook in hand and a pencil in the other. His pencil taps against his lips as he looks deep in thought. Almost immediately upon feeling my gaze on him, he looks up and closes his notebook.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" he asks, making his way over to me. I can't help but feel a rush of adrenaline go through me the closer he comes.

"Better," I manage to say. I nod towards his notebook. "What are you up to?"

He looks almost embarrassed when he says in a shy voice, "I was trying to come up with some new lyrics for a song."

I raise my eyebrows in question.

"I need something to surprise the fans with since it's my fault the tour keeps getting pushed back. I figured if they had something to look forward to, they would be less mad." he explains.

"It's my fault," I say right away. "If it wasn't for me, you would've been in Europe by now."

"No, no, no," he counters, coming even closer and my heart subsequently beats faster. "None of this is your fault. End of story." I shake my head, not believing him.

He steps even closer and I swear my heart stops when his fingers trace my face. I shiver under his touch and look up at him, eyes wide. His brown eyes stare back into mine, intense in thought. My heart feels as if it is about to burst out of my chest.

And then he pulls away, ending the moment.

I try to regain my self-control and pretend like he had no effect on me, but he and I both know that that is a lie.

"So..." I cough, trying to start the conversation up again, "How's the song going?"

He shakes his head in frustration. "I've been going at it for hours and I can't seem to come up with anything." Then he looks up suddenly, a light in his eyes. I watch as an idea comes to his mind. I'm already shaking my head before the words leave his mouth.

"You can help me," he says. "You're a poet! Writing a song is pretty much the same as writing as a poem and we both know you're a genius at it." I continue shaking my head. This was a terrible idea. No one's ever seen my poems except for myself and Liam now, I guess. Everything I have ever written has always been for myself and myself only. I wasn't ready for the world to see it.

"C'mon Aubrey," he says, and in his excitement, he grabs both my hands in both of his. "It'll be perfect. They'll love it."

I open my mouth to say no, but he looks at me expectantly, a smile on his face. How could I say no to him when he looked at me like that?

"Okay," I say finally, "But on one condition."

"Anything." he replies quickly.

"I want to see what you've written so far for the song you were working on before."

He chews his lip as he thinks it over. "You drive a hard bargain, but okay. Deal."

He sticks out his hand and I shake it. He's turning around to grab his notebook from where he left it on the chair when there's a knock on the door.

The door creaks open and I look over to see Taylor and Elizabeth walking in.

Taylor is in front as usual with Elizabeth trailing behind her. Elizabeth. The last time I talked to her was the day Connor cornered me at my locker and she just watched as he tortured me in front of everyone else. I haven't seen her since then.