𝟎𝟐𝟒: 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

As the aroma of sizzling bacon permeated the kitchen, filling the air with a savory fragrance that danced with the morning light streaming through the curtained windows

As the aroma of sizzling bacon permeated the kitchen, filling the air with a savory fragrance that danced with the morning light streaming through the curtained windows. Sierra, with practiced finesse, arranged the breakfast spread on the square white glass plates. The crispy golden brown maple bacon plating next to sharp cheddar cheese eggs, sausage links, and perfectly seasoned potato wedges.

With precision, Sierra twisted off the eye of the stove and turned off the fire, casting a momentary glow across the kitchen. Her hands moved in a circular motion as she wiped down the messy powdered counters.

Walking over to the big grey and diamond kitchen table and setting down Zane's plate Sierra pulled her up a chair and placed her and Zane's hands together before saying a prayer.

"Amen," She said aloud.

"Amen," Zane followed behind as he eagerly picked up his fork and popped a potato wedge in his mouth.

Sierra, with her gold fork in hand, observed Zane, her gaze momentarily diverted from the plate. Searching for a topic that wouldn't tread on sensitive ground. "When are you starting back work?" she asked

"Today.." He replied.

"You sure, baby?" Sierra's eyes lifted from her plate and genuine worry etched across her face.

"I gotta get back on my feet and handle my business Ma I can't afford to take another day off," Zane assured.

Nodding her head in agreement and swallowing the chewed bacon Sierra wiped her mouth with a white clean napkin and held Zane's hand. "You sell drugs right?"

Seeing him pause from eating and stare down at the table Zane looked up and huffed as he swallowed his food and gathered his response together. "Yeah... I do"

"Have you ever thought about maybe quitting and making clean money?" Sierra asked.

"Yeah, but that just ain't for me. Why you asking me all this shit anyway Sierra?" Zane asked as he furrowed his brows.

"Because Zane... How we gonna grow if I don't know things like this about you?"

"And it ain't no need to be getting all riled up Zane I ain't tryna judge you.. I'm bringing this up so you know I support you for you and if this is what you wanna do I wanna be by your side for it. But I don't want you thinking these streets is all to life baby 'cause it's not and it's better ways to make money." Sierra explained.

Finishing up the food on his plate and taking a sip from his orange juice Zane stood up and picked up his plate. Walking near Sierra he lowered down to her level and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Ima be Ight Ma stop worrying about it," Zane reassured.

Zane knew Sierra wasn't speaking anything but the truth. One day, maybe, he would decide to leave the streets and drugs behind him and start fresh for himself. However, he was too deep in to quit right now; he had too many people on the streets who wanted his head, and he knew giving up wouldn't be the best option right now.