M2, Chapter 5

Hogwarts

(The Whomping Willow sulks in the courtyard, slings strungabout its injured branches. Students hurry inside the greenhouse for the beginning of class)

Greenhouse

(As Y/n, Harry and Ron enter, Seamus, Neville and some of the other Gryffindors hover nearby)

Neville: Detention. On the first day?

Seamus: That must be some kind of record.

Hermione: I should think you'd count yourself lucky that's all you got.

Ron: I should think you'd mind your own business.

Y/n: Stop it.

(Ron and Hermione glare at each other. Professor sprout, a squat little witch, taps her wand on a stack of pots)

Sprout: Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years. Today, we will bere-potting Mandrakes. Now, who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake? Yes, Miss Granger.

Hermione: Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been transfigured to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it.

Sprout: Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor. As our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill yet. However, they will knock you out for several hours. That is why I have provided each of you with a pair of earmuffs. If you would then...

(Ron frowns. He's gotten a bright pink fluffy pair. When the class is ready, Professor Sprout leads them to the garden area. She grasps one of the tufty plants before her... and pulls. Harry gasps. Instead of roots, a small, muddy, extremely ugly baby pops out of the earth, leaves growing right out of its head. Neville's eyes roll back and he faints. Professor Sprout plunges the bawling creature deep into a pot, removes her earmuffs, and the others follow suit. Everyone save Neville, who lies stretched on the ground)

Sprout: Hm. Looks as though Mr. Longbottom neglected his muffs.

Seamus: No, ma'am. He's just fainted.

Sprout: Very well. We'll just leave him then. Come now. Four to a tray, plenty of pots to go round...

Great Hall

(Percy enters in the company of Penelope Clearwater, just as nearly headless nick glides by)

Penelope: There's Nearly Headless Nick.

Percy: Hello, Sir Nicolas.

Nick: Hello, Percy. Miss Clearwater.

(At the Gryffindor table, Hermione has her nose buried in Gilderoy Lockhart's Travels with Trolls. Ron runs gobs of Spello tape over his broken wand, shakes his head grimly)

Ron: Say it. I'm doomed.

Harry: You're doomed.

Y/n: Completely.

(A light blinds Harry. He blinks, finds a small boy standing before him with a camera)

Colin: Hiya, Harry. I'm Colin Creevey. I'm in Gryffindor too.

Harry: Hello, Colin. Nice to meet-

Colin: They're for my dad- the pictures. He's a milkman, you know, a Muggle, like all our family's been until me. No one knew all the odd stuff I could do was magic till we got my letter from Hogwarts. Everyone just thought I was mental.

Ron: Imagine that.

Colin: Say, Harry. D'you think your friend could take a photo of me and you standing together? Ya'know, to prove I've met you?