M3, Chapter 4

Hogwarts

(SPLASH!... a carriage wheel shatters the glassy surfaceas, horseless carriages are carrying students toward the glimmering castle. Gradually, the sweet sound of a choir rises on the air, a flash of lightning bleaches the night sky)

Great Hall

(At the High Table, Lupin sits with Severus Snape, Minerva McGonagall, Rubeus Hagrid and Albus Dumbledore. We track along the faces of the choir, singing to the strains of a harpscihord, and land on a quintet of toads one of which is Trevor who belongs to Neville, who looks on with pride. Filch, Hogwarts' caretaker, stands grimly to the side as red-eyed Mrs. Norris switches her tail at his feet. As the choir's song concludes, Dumbledore rises, beaming over the sea of black hats)

Dumbledore: Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair...

(McGonagall clears her throat)

Dumbledore: Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor.

(Amid scattered applause, Y/n, Harry, Ron, Hermione clap loudly)

Hermione: Of course! That's why he knew to give you the chocolate, Harry.

Dumbledore: As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!

(Y/n, Harry, Ron, and Hermione stare at each other --stunned -- then applaud vigorously. Hagrid turns ruby red, rises, and nearly topples the staff table, sending water goblets weaving)

Dumbledore: Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts -- at the request of the Ministry of Magic -- will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban.

(A murmur of apprehension fills the hall. At the Slytherin table, Draco, flanked by the ever present Crabbe and Goyle, catches Harry's eye, feigns a dead faint)

Dumbledore: The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving.

Marble Staircase

(Students exit the Great Hall, scale the Marble Staircase. Y/n, Harry, Ron and Hermione arrive at the seventh floor landing and approach the Fat Lady in the portrait)

Y/n: Fortuna Major.

Gryffindor Common Room

(The Gryffindors trail through the common room, the girls heading one way, boys the other)

-----Time Skip-----

(While those around Harry sleep, he takes the photograph of his parents, sets it next to his bed, then glances around in quiet contentment)

Y/n: Good to be home, huh?

(Harry turns -- caught -- and finds Y/n studying him from his own bed, Helios curled into a ball in his lap. Harry nods and turns to the window. Outside the Dementors drift to their positions outside the grounds. Harry continues to stare)