M2, Chapter 7

Hospital Wing

(Harry fidgets in the darkness, half-asleep, then... his eyelids flutter slowly open... From the shadows that cling to the ceiling... to the lattice-work of moonlight that burns softly on the walls around him... He senses something... a presence... when five bandaged fingers enter Harry's field of sight, bringing a sponge to his brow. Harry bolts upright, finds...)

Harry: Dobby!

Dobby: Harry Potter came back to school. Dobby warned him. Harry Potter should have listened to Dobby. Harry Potter should have gone back home when he missed the train.

(Harry pushes the sponge away)

Harry: It was you! You stopped the barrier from letting Y/n, Ron and me through!

Dobby: Indeed yes, sir. Dobby hid and watched for Harry Potter and sealed the gateway.

Harry: You nearly got Y/n, Ron and me expelled!

Dobby: At least you would be away from here. Harry Potter must go home! Dobby thought his Bludger would beenough to make Harry Potter see --

Harry: Your Bludger? You made that Bludger chase after me?

Dobby: Dobby feels most aggrieved, sir.

(He starts waggling his fingers)

Dobby: Dobby had to iron his hands...

Harry: You'd better clear off before my bones come back, Dobby, or I might strangle you!

(Dobby smiles weakly)

Dobby: Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home.

Harry: I don't suppose you could tell me why you're trying to kill me?

Dobby: Not kill you, sir, never kill you! Dobby remembers how it was before Harry Potter triumphed over He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. We house elves were treated like vermin, sir. Of course, Dobby is still treated like vermin...

(Dobby honks his nose on the filthy pillowcase he wears)

Harry: Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?

Dobby: This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house elf's enslavement. Dobby can only be freed if his master presents him with clothes. The family is careful not to pass Dobby so much as a sock, sir, for then he would be free to leave their house forever.

(Dobby's ears quiver, detecting footsteps. He whispers to Harry)

Dobby: Terrible things are about to happen at Hogwarts! Harry Potter must not stay here now that history is to repeat itself!

Harry: Repeat itself? You mean, this has happened before?

(Dobby seizes the Skele-Gro, beats himself about the head)

Harry: Tell me, Dobby? When did this happen before? Who's doing it now?

Dobby: Dobby cannot say, sir. Dobby only wants Harry Potter to be safe.

Harry: No, Dobby! Tell me! Who is it?

(CRACK! Dobby is gone. Shadows flicker beyond the curtain encircling Harry's bed. Harry slumps down... peers through a slit in the curtains. Dumbledore, in a nightcap, and McGonagall, in a tartan robe, heave a small statue onto an empty bed. Seconds later, Madam Pomfrey bustles in)

Madam Pomfrey: What's happened?

Dumbledore: There's been another attack.

(Madam Pomfrey gasps. It is not a statue lying there. It is Colin Creevey, camera still clutched to his eye)