M3, Chapter 9

Hogwarts Castle - Bridge

(Ron reaches the summit, disappears over the top. Y/n, Hermione and Harry follow)

Whomping Willow

(Y/n, Harry and Hermione reach the top of the ridge. Stop)

Hermione: Y/n. Harry. You do realize what tree this is...

(Ron nabs Scabbers, cradles him in his bloody palm)

Ron: Now behave yourself.

(Ron is kneeling under the Whomping Willow)

Harry: That's not good.

Y/n: Ron! Run!

(Ron spins. Looks toward Y/n and Harry)

Ron: Y/n! Harry! Run!

(Y/n and Harry turn around. Bounding toward them in the gathering gloom is an enormous, pale-eyed, jet-black dog. Y/n takes out his wand, Harry shields himself when... the dog leaps clear over them while Y/n throws a spell at it, missing once again)

Ron: Aaaahhh!

(The dog's teeth flash and -- SNAP! -- close on Ron's foot, dragging him towards the trunk like a rag doll. Instantly, Y/n dashes forward, leaps out, and grabs Ron's hands... but he and Ron just keep skudding along the ground)

Harry: Come on Hermione!

Hermione: I've got you --

(Harry and Hermione pitch themselves onto Y/n's feet... and the four of them go scudding along)

Ron: Y/n!

(Y/n raises his chin. The dog vanishes into the gap atthe base of the tree, begins to pull Ron through...)

Y/n: Hold on, Ron!

(But it's no use. The dog is too powerful. Y/n glances around desperately, then finds himself looking directly in Ron's eyes. He can read his mind)

Y/n: No, Ron... don't...

(One by one, Ron releases his fingers from Y/n's forearm. Sacrificing himself)

Y/n: Ron!

Harry: Nooooo!!!

(But Ron closes his eyes, releases his hands fully, and... Disappears. As his voice echoes deep into the earth... Y/n, Harry and Hermione rise, peer into the hole. WHOMP! The Whomping Willow sweeps first Hermione, then Harry and lastly Y/n, into the air and -- FLOOMPH -- drops them on their backsides. The branches overhead are swaying beautifully against the dusky sky, swishing softly.

As one, they rise. Run back toward the gap in the tree. A branch swoops down. Hermione ducks. Y/n and Harry doesn't. WHOOSH -- they are flung one way, Harry's glasses the other. Hermione hops over another branch -- looks briefly pleased with herself -- only to find herself swept high in the air by a second branch. She looks down, sees Harry searching the ground for his glasses and Y/n taking deep breaths since he got the wind knocked out of him)

Hermione: Haaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

(Y/n takes one deep breath, he and Harry squint up, see a pile-driving fist of a branch screaming straight down for their heads. Harry rolls away and Y/n dives onto the side just as -- WHOMP! -- the branch pulverizes the ground. Hermione whips through frame, still clinging on for dear life, Y/n and Harry rise.

FLUMPH! -- Y/n's promptly knocked right into Harry sending them both onto the ground. Hermione goes crashing through the high branches, Harry spies his glasses and grabs them. Rising, Y/n brushes his hair back from his face, Harry fits them to his face and his blurry vision turns crystal clear just in time to see Hermione flying madly toward him and Y/n)