M3, Chapter 10

Black Lake

(Harry stumbles down to Black, who lies on the water's edge, now fully a man, arms and face gleaming with lacerations)

Harry: Sirius!

(Harry looks into his glassy eyes)

Harry: Sirius!

(A fragile mist escapes Harry's mouth. A raw wind tosses his hair. Chill-bumps pebble his skin. A Fringe of ice appears at the lake's edge. Then they appear, oozing like smoke through the trees across the lake. Dementors)

Harry: No... No!

(Harry draws his wand)

Harry: Expecto... Patronum!

(A thin silvery wisp weeps from Harry's wand, hovering like a veil, but the Dementors continue to come. Harry places his hand on Black's heaving heart, poises his wand once more)

Harry: Expecto... Patronum...

(Harry's Patronus blooms briefly... and dies. Harry's eyes flutter, the Dementor's twisting madly in his vision, drawing closer. Black gasps. Silvery feathers of light tumble from his lips, as if his very soul were leaving him... Then... a light splinters the trees.

Harry squints, sees a fiery stag appear... its body luminous... slashing through the trees... sowing light in the darkness. The Dementors wilt in its wake, but more replace them, sweeping down in waves. Still, the stag charges on. The light expands. The forest blazing with it. The remaining Dementors flee, drifting across the moon like ash.

The light ebbs. The stag's luminous body flickers. There is a bright flash and darkness returns, a single thread of light all that remains, spinning down to the size of a pearl... in the palm of man, standing deep in the trees. Harry studies the strangely familiar silhouette, then... it is gone. Silence drops like a curtain. mist rises from the lake. As Snape appears at the top of the rise)

Hogwarts Castle - Hospital Wing

(Y/n and Hermione's shadows ripple against the curtain that encircles Harry's bed. A hand reaches out -- Harry's hand -- and sweeps the curtail aside. Ron lies opposite, his leg bandaged. Hermione paces. Stops)

Hermione: Harry --

Y/n: Ah, you're fianlly awake.

Harry: I saw my dad.

Y/n: What...? That's not possible.

Harry: He sent the Dementors away... I saw him. Across the lake...

(Y/n and Hermione exchange private glances with Ron, turn back)

Hermione: Listen, Harry. They've captured Sirius. Any minute the Dementors are going to perform the Kiss.

Harry: The Kiss...?

Y/n: It's what Dementors do to those they want to destroy. They clamp their jaws over the victim's mouth and... suck out his soul.

Harry: You mean, they're going to kill Sirius?

Y/n: No. It's a fate worse than death. Much worse. You go on living. But you have no memory. No sense of self. You're just an empty shell...

(As Harry reacts, the door opens and Dumbledore enters)

Hermione: Headmaster! You've got to stop them! They've got the wrong man!

Harry: It's true, sir. Sirius is innocent --

Ron: It's Scabbers who did it!

Dumbledore: Scabbers...?