M3, Chapter 7

Hogwarts - Black Lake

Lupin: I'm sorry about your broom, Harry. There's no chance of fixing it?

(Harry shakes his head in response to Lupin's question, then -- WHOOSH! -- sets Hedwig free of her traces. As she soars into the sky, Harry and Lupin watch from the lake's edge)

Harry: Why do they affect me so, Professor? I mean, more than everyone else...

Lupin: Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They feed on every good feeling, every happy memory, until a person is left with nothing but his worst experiences. You're not weak, Harry. The Dementors affect you most, because there are true horrors in your past. Horrors your classmates can scarcely imagine. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

Harry: I'm scared, Professor.

Lupin: I'd consider you a fool if you weren't.

Harry: I need to learn how to fight them. You could teach me, Professor. You made that Dementor on the train go away...

Lupin: There was only one that night...

Harry: But you made it go away.

Lupin: I don't pretend to be an expert, Harry. But yes, I can teach you. Perhaps after the holiday. For now, though, I need to rest. I'm feeling... tired.

(Harry turns, studies Lupin's haggard face. A weary smile appears as Hedwig's reflection glides over Lupin's irises)

Lupin: Beautiful...

(Harry looks up, watches Hedwig pinwheel through the blue, past the clock tower and away. The skies pales, and snow begins to fall)

Hogwarts Castle Grounds

(Weeks later the Hogwarts Castle is dusted in white. Harry, framed in a window of the clock tower, stares out, looking forlorn. In reflection, snow falls on the glass. A ragged line of students follows McGonagall toward the bridge)

-----Time Skip-----

(Footprints appear in the snow, moving quickly to join the other students. Suddenly, Fred and George appear, heading the opposite way and... the footprints reverse themselves... as if Fred and George were escorting an invisible person)

Fred: Clever, Harry.

George: But not clever enough.

Fred: Besides, we've got a better way.

Entrance Hall

(The great doors open and Fred and George enter. The invisibility cloak drops and Harry is revealed, looking cross. Instantly, Fred slaps a worn roll of parchment into his hand. Harry unfurls it. Frowns. It's blank)

Harry: What's this rubbish?

Fred: Rubbish he says. That there's the secret to our success. 

George: It's a wrench giving it to you, believe me. 

Fred: But we've decided your need's greater than ours. George, if you will... 

George: I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

(George touches his wand to the parchment and intricate ink lines surface in the fiber of the paper, spread like veins. Harry reads the curious words at the top)

Harry: "Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfootand Prongs are proud to present The Marauder's Map"...?

George: Ah... Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs. We owe them so much.