M3, Chapter 11

Hogwarts - Forbidden Forest

(Y/n, Harry and Hermione race through the trees as Buckbeak lopes easily behind)

Harry: Now what?

Hermione: We save Sirius.

Y/n: And we do that... how?

Hermione: No idea.

Whomping Willow

(The Whomping Willow is thrashing. Hermione disappears down the hole, then a figure approaches the tree. Lupin)

Hermione: Look. It's Lupin.

(As the Whomping Willow begins to thrash, its violence oddly muted at this distance, Lupin takes a stick, pokes a knot on the trunk. Instantly, the Willow calms)

Y/n: Wait until Fred and George hear about that one.

Hermione: Here comes Snape.

(As Lupin disappears into the gap at the base of the tree, Snape makes his way down the slope)

Harry: And now we wait.

Y/n: Now we wait.

-----Time Skip-----

(The tops of the trees are etched against the darkening sky. Bats fly around when Buckbeak snags one. A tail twitches briefly between his beak, then -- SLURP! -- is gone)

Hermione: 'Least someone's enjoying himself.

Y/n: Let him be, he just got another chance of living.

(Y/n, Harry and Hermione sit together in the lengthening shadows. Y/n snaps off a piece of chocolate, hands it to Hermione)

Harry: Y/n, Hermione...

Hermione: Yes?

Y/n: Hmm?

Harry: Before. Down by the lake. When I was with Sirius... I did see someone... that someone made the Dementors go away...

Hermione: With a Patronus. I heard Snape telling Dumbledore when we were taken to the hospital. According to him, only a really powerful wizard could have conjured it.

Harry: It was my Dad.

(Y/n and Hermione look at Harry)

Harry: It was my Dad who conjured the Patronus.

Hermione: But, Harry, your Dad's...

Harry: Dead. I know. I'm just telling you what I saw.

(Hermione nods, not wanting to press Harry further, Y/n glances beyond the trees, toward the Whomping Willow)

Y/n: Here we come.

(Shadows emerge under a full moon: Black. Harry. Y/n. Pettigrew. Lupin. Hermione. Ron. Sleepwalking Snape... Harry studies himself and Sirius)

Harry: You see Sirius talking to me? He's asking me to come live with him.

Y/n: Really now?

(Harry nods, his voice wistful)

Harry: When we free him, I'll never have to go back to the Dursley's. I'm going to tell him I'd like to live someplace in the country. I think he'd like that, after all those years in Azkaban. We don't need a big place and I can help him...

(A howl pierces the night. Hermione glances toward the Willow)

Hermione: It's happened. Lupin's transformed.