Chapter 2- Barclays Center

"We're transferring you to VISIONS."

I looked at my parents in disbelief. It was six months after the funeral. Dad broke the news to me as we sat at the breakfast table before school. My spoon dropped and clattered onto the table in shock. I couldn't leave my middle school. Not Miles.

"Could we please talk about this?" I begged. "My studies are perfect at middle school."

"Which is why we will be moving you to VISIONS next year," Dad finished. "There is no discussion here. We want to challenge you more."

As if the coursework wasn't challenging already.

"Dear, we need to get to work," Mom stated.

Mom and Dad worked as security guards in a building. I didn't know where, or for who, but that was all I needed to know according to them. They were security guards at a building. I tried following them once, but they knew instantly and grounded me for months.

When I got to school, Miles instantly noticed my changed mood. He bumped my elbow.

"What's up?" Miles asked.

I couldn't look at him. "I'm not following you into high school. My parents arranged for me to go to a private school."

"You're stuck with me forever, amor," Miles admitted.

I punched his shoulder lightly. "Shut up, dude."

"No, I'm serious," Miles explained. "VISIONS?"

"You know about that school?" I questioned in disbelief.

"Mi familia won a lottery. Got me a full ride to VISIONS," Miles admitted. "So, like I said. Stuck with me forever."

I sighed, grinning. "I'm so glad I got my best friend to go with me."

Miles smiled softly at me. I smiled back as we walked into our first class.

Miles became my best and only friend two months ago, when we started our eighth grade year. We bonded over our love for science. We helped each other with homework, and even just hung out because our homes were so suffocating. My parents didn't care where I went as long as I stayed out of trouble, so my time was with him.

A five page essay was assigned to us in English class, making Miles frown. He leaned over to me. "Social House Cafe again?"

"I'll even walk over there with you," I replied.

Our backpacks almost took up half of the booth seat as we sat down across from each other. I found my topic easily, and Miles suggested a few for me to give my opinion on. He ended up taking one related to art and music, which he absolutely loved. After a while, I found myself staring at the screen, reading the same line over and over.

"(Y/n)?" Miles caught my attention. "Want something? You look distracted."

"My usual," I answered.

Ten minutes later, Miles set a fruit smoothie in front of me. I smiled fondly at my best friend before focusing back on my computer. Just a little to go. Miles went back to studying as well, looking up at me frequently. I smiled softly when I noticed he was staring a little longer than normal.

Just my best friend.

🕷:

Meet me on top of Barclays Center. I need to tell you something.

I looked out the window, and from a distance, I could see him looking at me. I nodded, and he swung away toward the center. He knew what my favorite meeting place was. It was the highest, and I could see the beautiful city from it.

"I gotta go. My parents need me." Miles frowned. "They need to talk about VISIONS."

"No, that's completely fine. I have to go too, actually," I assured him.

We walked out together and hugged each other softly. He was so warm.

"Bye, Morales," I mumbled as I pulled away.

"Bye, (L/n)." Miles walked away, smiling.

I smiled softly as I slipped into an alleyway, slipping off my clothes and revealing my costume. I swung toward Barclays Center, landing on the roof gracefully. My ankles almost gave out, but I fought against it. The smile was still on my face, but not just from Miles at that moment.

"Not bad for your landings," Peter noted.

He was sitting on the ledge, just out of view except for his legs dangling from the edge. He had his mask up. His blond hair was rustling in the wind, and he looked more tired than normal. His blue-gray eyes were still full of energy, though.

I shrugged. "One of my better ones."

"Who were you with?" Peter asked.

"A guy who's moving to VISIONS at the same time I am," I explained. "No one special."

"Yet."

I rolled my eyes. "Why'd you want me here?"

"Patrol time," Peter reminded me.

"That doesn't start for another hour," I said in confusion.

"Yes, but I need to show you those tricks again," Peter explained.

"I'm a pretty fast learner, Parker. Just ask any of my teachers," I protested.

"Come on, Spidergirl." Peter shoved on his mask and flew off of the building backwards.

I had no other option except to follow him with a roll of my eyes.