Chapter 23- The Morales Party

"So, let me guess. You're not here to see us," I said to Gwen as Miles was at the party getting us food.

She frowned. "I'm sorry."

"An anomaly?" She looked at me, surprised, then nodded. "I understand. But at the same time, I feel hurt. We've missed you, Gwen. Not a single word, and when you finally see us you're focused on a mission."

"(Y/n), I tried-"

"Here's your knight and shining armor with food." Miles pecked my temple as he placed the tiny plates of food on the ledge.

Gwen took a bite of the food. "Wow. Feelings make me hungry."

"These plantenos are just deep fried feelings," Miles reasoned as I took a bite of one.

Gwen finally took off the watch she was wearing and gave it to Miles.

"This is what keeps you from glitching in other dimensions?" Miles questioned.

"Yeah. It's pretty cool. Hobie managed to incorporate the watch that you made, (Y/n), too," Gwen explained.

"Amazing," I commented as I admired the tech.

"What's it gonna take for Miguel O'Hara to notice Miles Morales and (Y/n) (L/n)?" Miles asked.

Gwen let out a little laugh. "I'll put in a good word."

"If we had watches, we could come with you," I reasoned.

"Guys, look-"

"We did save the multiverse," Miles added.

"It's a really small elite strike force," Gwen explained.

"We can turn invisible, we have, like, electric powers-"

"There aren't a lot of spots," Gwen finally said.

Miles frowned. "Ah, right."

"Look, if it was up to me, you-"

"I know, I know," Miles interrupted.

Miles pressed a button and made the watch beep. Gwen quickly snatched it back. "Don't do that! Miles! It's really delicate. Sorry, I didn't mean to snap."

"Okay, alright. I'm sorry," Miles replied.

"Hello!" Mrs. Morales said behind me. I made room for her as she climbed over the railing. She faced Gwen. "I'm Miles's mom." Mr. Davis climbed over the railing.

"Rio! Hi, I've heard so much about you," Gwen said, making me cringe.

I snuck up behind her. "Mrs. Morales and Mr. Davis."

"Right. Mrs. Morales," Gwen acknowledged, making Mrs. Morales smile.

"Mija, there are a few people who want to meet you," Mrs. Morales said to me.

I stammered a little. She called me 'mija'. "Of course, Mrs. Morales. I'll be right down."

"And who is this?" Mrs. Morales asked Miles.

"This is Gwen. Mr. Davis, you may remember former Captain Stacy. She's related to him," I explained, making Gwen smile fakely.

"Nice to meet you," Mr. Davis said to Gwen.

Gwen's watch beeped. "Shoot! Shoot, I have to go."

"Really?" I questioned.

"Yeah. I, uh, forgot to get my steps in," Gwen lied. "Really, really, wish I could stay longer."

"Yeah, no problem," Miles said awkwardly.

Gwen pulled my arm and whispered in my ear. "Find me later, okay? I'll turn the location back on so you can find me."

"Okay," I whispered back.

Gwen climbed down, then went down the fire escape to the building. I waited for Mrs. Morales, but she stayed as Miles looked out at the city. Miles grabbed my hand and held it, squeezing it once to assure me that he was okay. Just thinking.

"I can hear you being quiet, Mom," Miles remarked.

"I, um... hope I didn't interrupt anything," Mrs. Morales admitted. "It's just hard to see my little man not be my little boy all the time."

"Yeah," Miles replied.

"Papa, you know you can tell me anything," Mrs. Morales stated. She said something in Spanish that I couldn't quite understand.

"Well..." Miles started, playing with the cuff of his super suit. "I'm... I'm sorry I was late."

My watch beeped like an alarm, but I knew it was Gwen allowing me access. "Lo siento, Senora Morales-"

"It's okay." Mrs. Morales smiled. She pulled me in for a hug, making me freeze for a moment. "Have a good night."

"You too," I replied, giving Miles a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving.

Now to find Gwen.