Chapter 30- Our Band

An electric shock ran through me, changing my appearance completely. I felt a darkness loom over me as the nanotech ran up my body. The suit turned white, but had Miguel's design for the spider. Everyone looked at me in shock as my hair turned white. The watch burst to life like I wanted it to when activating the suit Gabby gave me.

Miles ran as I turned invisible. I found my way to the Go Home Machine, messing around with the controls as Miles led them on a wild goose chase. I loved that we always had that intuition. No matter what, Miles and I worked well as a team. We were a team, both in and out of our suits.

Miles and I were going to have a team. Him, me, Gabby, Mindy, Gayatri, Peter, Flash, everyone. Everyone who was outcasted because they had a different story. Gabby had a different plan. We would be an actual small elite strike force, deciding the course of actions as a team.

I punched the activate button, and the machine roared to life.

"What—What's going-"

"Margo," I hissed, making my body visible to her and covering her mouth. "Please. Miles and I need to go home."

She looked at the machine for a moment, then nodded and stood back.

I stood on the machine, the computer scanning my eye. Earth-1610, the machine read. It started weaving the webs that made the laser prison. I pulled on my mask as I felt a weird tingling deep within my body. The machine flashed bright lights at me, and I got sucked into a portal right after I heard the clang of metal from the controls.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I landed at home. On top of Barclays Center, right where Peter and I sat a year earlier. I got on my feet and stood over our city. The city Miles and I swore to protect a year ago. A web was released from my webshooter, and I swung back to my home.

I walked into the house, rushing to find Mom or PJ. Immediately, I found the toddler waking up from a nap. He cooed delightedly when he saw me. I picked him up and hugged him tightly, the boy immediately relaxing in my hold. Mom walked out of her bedroom, wearing a soft red sweater and loose black jeans.

"What happened to you?" Mom asked, a little surprised at my new appearance.

I stayed silent for a moment. "I met some other spiderpeople today. And they had to let Miles down the hard way that Mr. Davis was going to die."

Mom's eyes widened. "Why?"

"It's like losing Uncle Nick or Uncle Ben, apparently. It's supposed to happen," I explained. "It honestly made me question why I decided to become Spiderwoman."

Mom crouched in front of me. "You have saved millions of lives, (Y/n). Sure, things happen. But those things make you stronger. There was one thing your friend Gwen said when you met her that you always stick to. Remember?"

"No matter how many times you get hit, can you get back up?" I remembered.

"You've gotten shot twice, been in a coma, had more broken bones than we can count. Yet you're still here, stronger than ever," Mom reasoned. She looked at PJ and me. "You two are the best decisions Peter and I ever made. Right from the start, Peter knew you were going to be great. Never think anything else."

I nodded.

I went down to the Spider base, placing PJ in his playpen and powering up the computer. Instead of Miles pinging in our dimension, he pinged in Earth-42. No Spiderman was detected there. I opened my new watch, looking at the call I sent out. Some of them saw it already, which relieved me.

I heard the platform land again. I turned off the computer. Gwen was in the reflection.

"I only did what I thought was best for both you and the society." Gwen looked down, tears filling her eyes. "I wanted to keep you two safe. I know it wasn't my job, but I wanted to. Miguel could have hurt you two, and I didn't need to lose another friend or more friends. You are the strongest person I have ever known. I couldn't lose you." She choked a sob. "Please understand."