Chapter 29- Intervention

"My dad is about to be captain," Miles realized, making me shake with fear. He didn't deserve what I went through. "Spot does it. He kills him. When does it happen?" Miles turned to the others. "When does it happen?"

"In two days," Miguel admitted. "When he's sworn in."

"That's what the model says," Lyla agreed.

"I'm sorry, Miles," Miguel said softly.

"Send me home!" Miles demanded. "Send us home!"

"I can't do that," Miguel replied. "Not now."

"Well, what am I supposed to do? Let him die?" Miles questioned. He turned to Gwen. "What about your dad? He's the captain, right?"

Gwen looked up at him. "Yeah."

"And that's it? You guys aren't going to do anything about it?" Miles questioned. "Okay. What about Uncle Ben? Would that have been okay if you knew and just let it play out?"'

"If not for Uncle Ben, most of us wouldn't be here, Miles," Peter reasoned. "And all of the good we did, it wouldn't have been done."

Miguel showed my scene, making me breathe irregularly. It showed me swinging at the criminals who killed my uncle, my only guidance in the cruel world. The hologram showed me dragging the men back to my uncle, their beaten and bloody faces barely recognizable from before.

Miles blinked, then turned back to Miguel. "So, we're supposed to let people die, because some algorithm says that that's supposed to happen? You realize how messed up that sounds, right?"

"You have a choice between saving one person and saving an entire world. Every world," Miguel reasoned.

"I can do both!" Miles argued.

"Pavitr said that when he was trying to save Gayatri," I whispered.

"Spiderman always-"

"Not always," Peter interrupted him.

Miguel put a hand on Miles's shoulder. "Miles, we all want to live the life we wish we had. Believe me, I have tried. And the harder I tried, the more damage I did. You can't have it all, kid. Being Spiderman is a sacrifice. That's the job. That's what you signed up for."

"What form did we sign that said we signed up for this?" I finally said. "We were and are just kids! Miles and I are just kids! I'm barely allowed to have a learner's permit, and I'm supposed to save an entire city every single day. I've lost my uncle, both of my parents, and our Spiderman! Nobody would sign up for this job. But because some sick fate chose us, we had no choice."

"Miles, (Y/n)." A robot opened, revealing the bright girl I knew now turned depressed.

"Peni?" Miles questioned. "What is this?"

"What kind of intervention is this?" I almost wanted to laugh as tears filled my eyes.

A spider stepped forward. "We know it's hard. But it's the truth, Miles."

"Is that why you're here? To let us down easy?" Miles questioned, glaring at Peter.

I scoffed. "Worked last time. Why not run it back?"

"Hey, hold on-" Peter put a hand on my shoulder, but I shoved it off.

"You were right, Gwen. You should have never come to see us," Miles snapped.

"Kid, look-"

"No," I quickly cut him off. "We have never been kids."

"Here we go."

"Hobie, you're not helping."

"Good."

"Guys, please understand-"

"You can't ask me not to save my father," Miles protested.

Miguel looked at him. "I'm not asking."

He threw a cage underneath both of us, locking us in there together. We pounded on the laser cage, but were unable to break it. Maybe that was why they used it. It was unbreakable to most. We could hear the protests on the outside. Mostly from Gwen, which made me smile bittersweetly.

Miles and I put our hands up to the cage. We looked at Hobie, who held up his palms to us. I remembered his earlier advice to use the palms and the fingers. Miles interlocked our pinkies like normal and put our hands up to the lasers. I looked at the watch Mindy snapped onto my wrist.

"You have a power... a power that most spiders don't have. I can see it, (L/n). All of us had the potential to change our worlds. Now it's your turn."

"Sorry it had to end like this, kids," Miguel said, making my blood boil.

We were never kids.

"I said not to call me that!" Miles exclaimed as our powers made the laser cage burst.