Chapter 4. Reunions

Long, flowing white hair, large fluffy wolf ears, a bushy tail, and piercing yellow eyes—undeniably the distinct features of a wolf beastman girl.

Obviously, the girl recognized me, yet her expression didn't hint at pleasure in my sudden appearance. Yami, my wolf companion, bristled, growling fiercely at the beastman girl. Simultaneously, Candace's temper flared, her hair starting to ignite.

"Tina! Last I saw you, you were just a kid. How time flies!" I greeted her in an overly friendly tone, despite the blade pressed against my neck, aiming to calm the tension.

"Shut up! Leave now if you don't want to get hurt," Tina retorted angrily, her hostility unwavering despite my amiable approach.

"Tina, I understand your anger concerning Lovetta. It was entirely my fault, but I was in a terrible state, physically and mentally. I can never go back, but I'm trying to move forward. I need to apologize to Lovetta for everything," I earnestly expressed, hoping to quell her hostility.

"Follow me. The chieftain will deal with you," Tina replied after much thought, her tone softening slightly as she sheathed her weapon, leading the way toward the village.

A sigh of relief escaped me; things hadn't escalated into a physical altercation. "Nice wolf you've got there," Tina commented as we navigated the maze of bridges.

"Can you believe it's only been a day since we met? We've bonded fast," I replied cheerfully, glad to witness a slight improvement in her mood.

As Tina warmed up ever so slightly, casual conversation ensued while we walked, though Candace observed with a tinge of jealousy.

The village remained much the same after seven years, welcoming me once again. Simple houses carved into colossal trees dotted the area, while curious children peeked from behind various objects.

Arriving at the familiar house that belonged to the chieftain, my heart started pounding and my mind started racing as doubts started creeping up once again.

"Hello, Chieftain, Mrs. Wulric. I'm glad to see you both in good health," I greeted politely, relieved at Lovetta's absence until thoughts started to swirl.

What if she got married and moved into her own house? Is that why she isn't here? The sudden thought pained me greatly as my relief of her absence turned into dread.

"I apologize for how I treated Lovetta. For leaving her without any contact. I hope I could see her and seek forgiveness," I confessed, the unease palpable.

"You abandoned my sis and disappeared. And now you show up with another girl, wanting to apologize? Leave your woman at home if you're sincere," Tina interjected angrily before her parents could speak.

"Tina, don't be too harsh. Ken's been through unimaginable hardships," Anita, her mother, quickly intervened, defending me.

Before I could express my gratitude, the chieftain approached me, towering over me, a mentor and father figure.

Boris Wulric, the imposing chieftain of the werewolf beastman tribe, stood before me, his presence commanding respect and fear.

"Sorry, my boy. Lovetta isn't here," the chieftain consoled, patting my shoulder.

"Tina, fetch Keev and Ruth. Go greet the villagers, Ken. We'll talk after dinner," the chieftain instructed, ushering me to visit the village while they prepared the meal.

"Is everyone here a wolf beastman?" Candace queried as we greeted the familiar faces and the new generation of children born since my last visit.

"In remote villages like this and your own, diversity isn't common. They're wary of outsiders," I explained as we traversed the village.