Chapter 15. Reunion

With the pair chatting loudly, I was roused from my sleep early the next morning, eager to continue my journey towards that peaceful life I longed for after the ordeal. Greeting Yami and the chatty girls, we met up with Gwen and Fernard, heading for the dining hall one last time.

"Tina, are you absolutely sure about not going back home to let your parents know what's going on?" I asked, hopeful the wolf girl had a change of heart.

"Nope."

"Well, I tried. Feels bad for your poor family."

"I don't mind making the trip and delivering the message," Gwen offered, causing Tina to let out a joyful howl, drawing attention from everyone in the dining hall.

"You realize it's at least a two-month roundtrip, right?" I questioned, concerned that my sister might not grasp the extent of the journey.

"The king donated a pegasus to the academy since the teleport ban, to make important journeys easier. Since it's for you, I'm sure the headmaster would let me borrow it for the trip. Right, Fernard?"

"Of course! I'll speak to my father after we see you off. With the pegasus, Gwen shouldn't take more than two weeks for the roundtrip," Fernard replied cheerfully.

With their insistence on helping, I was grateful for the maps I picked up the day before. I shared one with Gwen and provided her with some advice on the areas and the messages I wanted her to deliver.

"Hey Fernard, could you talk to the headmaster about admitting Tina as a student here? I thought Gwen could look after her once we leave."

"What do you mean? I'm not staying here alone!" Tina shouted before Fernard could respond.

"You're the one who said you didn't want a boring life! How is spending your days traveling through wasteland fun when you could stay in one of the largest cities in the world, study under one of the best, and explore all the city has to offer?" I questioned, surprised by Tina's decision to tag along when Ostrium seemed to fulfill what she was looking for.

"Shut up! I'm coming along," the girl replied firmly, refusing to elaborate.

"Obviously, she's tagging along because she likes you... Ugh, another competition," Candace added, sparking a heated argument between Tina, who vehemently denied the accusation.

Sighing deeply, I stayed quiet to enjoy my breakfast, the only thing I had control over as my plans kept getting altered without my consent.

"I guess it's goodbye, Fernard. Thanks, Gwen, for going out of your way to deliver the messages," I said to the pair as they saw us off at the city wall after our almost three-hour horse ride.

"I'm your sister, Ken. Stop with the formality. Of course, I will help you. Just don't disappear on us again."

"Before you go, Ken, I just want your permission," Fernard asked in a serious tone.

"For what? Why are you so serious all of a sudden?"

"Would you give me the blessing to be with Gwen?"

"Nope. I'm not giving you two any blessings."

"Ken!" Gwen scolded, while Fernard looked visibly dejected.

"You don't need it, Fernard. Gwen is a full-grown woman now. She doesn't need my approval or blessing. If you treat her right and protect her with your life, I'm sure you will make a much better man than I could ever be," I replied, feeling glad that Gwen had found such a powerful and humble partner.

"I will protect her with my life!" The giant beastman vowed, his voice filled with determination, making Gwen blush like I had never seen before.

Wishing the pair good luck and promising I would attend their wedding when they decide to get married, we bid them farewell and set out on the short journey to the small village I grew up in.