Chapter 31. Royal Intrigue

As the door swung open, we were met with a throng of servants, each adorned with artifact collars encircling their necks—an unsettling testament to the despicable nature of the mansion's owner and the caliber of attendees at this gathering.

Stepping into the opulent mansion, we found it teeming with even more so called servants, attending to every whim of the guests.

The attendees, resembling the nobility and royalty I had encountered at Dragonspire, exuded an air of importance as they mingled amidst the lavish surroundings. Clad in elaborate suits and elegant dresses, they traversed the halls with a sense of entitlement, their motivations varying from genuine interest to coerced participation.

As the apparent "champion" of the tournament, I felt visibly out of place, reminiscent of my days at Dragonspire, where an orphaned commoner like myself was a perennial outsider in such gatherings.

Masking my discomfort with feigned sociability, I engaged in polite conversation with the snobbish guests, offering strained smiles and forced laughter at their insipid banter and disdainful remarks, many of which were directed at my accompanying companions.

"How much for the redhead of yours? I haven't seen a human like her," a haughty elf in a dazzling suit inquired, eyeing Candace appraisingly as if she were mere merchandise.

"She's not human. She's a fire fairy, and she's not for sale. I'm a collector myself, particularly interested in rare specimens—hence my participation in the tournament and attendance at this event," I replied tersely, hoping to deter further conversation.

Scanning the crowd, her distinctive horns and tail served as a beacon, guiding my gaze to her whereabouts with ease.

"Hey Carla, looking beautiful as ever," I greeted the horned elf girl with a warm smile, finding her stationed alone on the balcony, her demeanor as aloof as ever. Before she could respond, a sharp kick caught me off guard from behind.

"I'll speak with you when my grandfather deems it necessary. For now, leave me be while I attend to my duties," she retorted curtly, her dismissal palpable.

"Don't be a stranger! Just who is your grandfather, anyway? Is he the master of this splendid abode? And why did you allow me to win?" I persisted, attempting to extract some semblance of conversation from the indifferent figure.

"My grandfather mandates that I surrender if anyone manages to endure 30 minutes. Nothing more, nothing less. You are no longer exceptional," she disclosed, offering a rare glimpse into her motivations.

"No longer? So you're aware of my past?" I inquired further.

"Enough to discern your decline. I doubt you're even as formidable as you once were five years ago," she remarked, betraying a flicker of emotion in our exchange.

"Yeah... Life hasn't been kind to me, but I'm gradually accepting it," I replied with a wistful smile, hoping to foster further dialogue.

"I don't know your intentions, but you're out of place here. Leave," she admonished, her words carrying a veiled warning, refusing to divulge more as we retreated to the bustling party, tasked with enduring more unpleasant encounters.

Thankfully, Tina adhered to her promise, maintaining her composure without instigating any incidents, sticking close to her friends without causing disruption.

After what felt like an interminable duration, a servant discreetly broached the subject of a special event held after each tournament party. Given the subtle hints exchanged during our conversation, I was certain this event held the answers we sought.

Following the servant's lead, we were ushered to a magic circle reminiscent of the one Abigail had previously guided us to. With a surge of magic, we were whisked away from the opulent mansion and its extravagant revelry.