Chapter 16. Forgotten Bonds

"Are you crying?"

"Shut up. I got some dust in my eyes." I lied, urging the wolf girl to keep quiet as I dismounted from my horse.

"She looks like that pretty lady who was here a while ago," a little boy commented, pointing at Tina. "Wow. This human lady is so beautiful too!" another one of the boys shouted, the kids chatting excitedly amongst themselves.

"Do you know who they are, Emma?" One of the little girls asked, turning to her.

"Don't know the girls. Come, let's go inside for dinner, tell Julia to prepare 3 more seats," Emma calmly directed the kids inside.

Once she ushered every kid back inside the house, Emma broke down in my arms, weeping uncontrollably. "Sorry, Emma." I couldn't find words of comfort, so I just hugged her tightly.

"I'm starving! You two can be all mushy after we eat some food," Tina complained, interrupting our tender moment.

"Guess one thing won't ever change," Emma said with a slight smile, tears still rolling down her cheeks.

"She's Lovetta's sister. We are simply traveling together, nothing more. Same with the redhead," I clarified, feeling like a changed man, albeit not for the better.

"Let's not make the guests wait then. Come," Emma replied, finally gathering herself.

"The kids are saying we got guests?" Julia asked, peering out from the kitchen when she heard Emma opening the door.

Dropping whatever utensils she held, Julia rushed over and hugged me while sobbing, just like Emma did.

"You think she is another sister or 'sister'?" "Don't care. My sister is better either way. I just want some food! I'm starving!"

The peanut gallery murmured to each other.

"KEN!" someone shouted, and a full-grown man rushed over, embracing me tightly. "Ryo?"

Deep purple eyes, short brunette hair, and handsome as can be. Not only was my house full of unfamiliar children, but the vampire boy I met and helped out years ago had grown into a man and somehow ended up here too.

"He said he's got 10 girlfriends, right? Do you think this one is a boyfriend?" "Maybe he's into men, that's why he ditched my sister and the rest."

"Okay, no one will think you two are mute if you just keep quiet for a minute," I snapped at the pair.

"You're that girl I met once at Ava's castle, right?" Ryo asked Candace after finally letting me go.

"Oh! You're one of the slum boys from back then? If you're here, maybe there's a way for us to get back to Darrumburgh fast?" Candace replied hopefully.

"Unfortunately not. I've been here for the past 5 years. I do miss my people at home, but with the worldwide teleport ban, the round trip would take years, and I can't stay away for that long," Ryo explained, dashing Candace's hope of a timely return to her village.

"You guys can chat after dinner," Emma said authoritatively as all the children listened obediently, settling around our antique wooden dining table, far too small for the number of children.

"Where's mom? Kevin? Melvin? Erika?" I asked, noticing my three youngest siblings and adoptive mother were nowhere to be found. "They're working in the city. Save your questions for after dinner," Emma ordered.

Surveying the scene, I counted at least 20 kids, plus Emma, Julia and Ryo. While the food offering was plain and simple, it was plentiful. The children were all rather young but behaved extremely well. It was hard to distinguish who the actual children were, them or my companions.