9: Temptation

He ran behind Meerab knowing well that his mother called them because of her as Ma Begum's voice was heavy and he felt anger in her voice. Leaving Meerab with Ma Begum didn't look good to him. He entered the room with Meerab and stood beside Meerab who looked down feeling his presence around her. How can she face him now? She feels very shy thinking of her words even. How can she say that? Her cheeks started to burn when his hand slowly held her and he hid their hands behind her back.

She looked at him in shock wondering what happened to him suddenly. Why he is being so touchy? Is he forgetting that they are bound by a contract? While looking at him in shock and trying to question him through her eyes, she noticed a spark in his eyes, and a smile on his lips which she saw most of the time. She wondered did he ever felt heartbroken like she felt. She never saw his lips curved down looking sad, either he looked happy,  angry, or neutral. Just then she felt him touching her palm, she shivered and looked at her hand to see Murtasim caressing the gajra he just made her wear. Ohh, she now realized why he held her hand in this room. He must be admiring her and feeling his gift. But is this a place to admire that?

"Meerab", Ma Begum called her loudly which made her flinch in fear as she was lost in her imagination thinking why he held her hand. She looked at Ma Begum who was already staring at her with anger or maybe disgust in her eyes

"Meerab what are you wearing?", Ma Begum asked angrily

"You called us for this because Haya told you about Meerab?", Murtasim asked

"No, I want to ask why you want her to study now. She is married, we are rich and she doesn't need to study anymore. Humare khaandan ki ladkiya wakalat nahi karti. And she should cover her head, if not head then at least her arms ", Ma Begum said as the environment she lived in was too old to accept the new tradition. They all lived in a village and believed that their image was more important than anything. She always followed the customs of the village and wanted Meerab to follow the same

"After marrying her when I am not going to leave my work then why she should? If someone will have to change this tradition then why not her? The village work and lawyer's work is the same Ma", Murtasim replied softly and looked towards Meerab assuring her that no one would become a hurdle in her dreams. He is with her and will never heave her hand. He noticed Meerab's eyes widening in shock, he slowly caressed the back of her hand with his thumb and gestured through his eyes that he was with her.

"Because she is your Khanni Murtasim. She should look after the villagers. If the work is the same then ask your wife to look after villagers who need her. Vese he bohot jawan chalti hai iski", Ma begum said which made Murtasim giggle but when he felt her pinching his hand he changed his expressions and pressed his lips together to control himself from moaning in pain.

"Lawyer is much more powerful than that. And she is not any Khanni", Murtasim said. For a second Meerab felt bad that Murtasim didn't accept her as his Khanni but isn't it the truth? She looked down not knowing what to say and argue because Murtasim was speaking from her side. She has started to have immense respect for Murtasim who always supports her and stays beside her.

"And I don't have any problem with her working, wearing whatever she wants and whatever she does", he said

"You have gone mad Murtasim. Try to understand that she can't become a lawyer. Our customs don't allow it", Ma Begum shouted

"I don't care about custom. I will feel proud if she becomes a lawyer as my wife. I will be so happy to see her successful ", Murtasim said and this reply wasn't because of mere Revenge. He makes efforts to break her ego but here it is genuine because he wants to see her pursuing her dreams. He was unable to complete his dreams but he will never let her go through the same