23: Efforts

Please read the last chapter before jumping to this one❤️✨
____________________

Meerab is checking a few files going through cases and investigating through the laptop taking important information. She thought by keeping herself busy she would be able to forget his memories but she couldn't. Why does this have to be so difficult? She closed the file and noticed 4 files were left to be read. The dates of these files are a year later but she wants to distract herself from his memories as his presence has disturbed her mentally. She was not expecting his confession but when he did, she felt herself the unluckiest woman on earth.

The guy she loves is accepting his feelings for her but she can't hug him tight and reply with a big yes. She closed her eyes tight and left the file open as she had enough of controlling her emotions after seeing him in front of her. Her eyes welled up with tears recalling his "I love you", and then thier night when she was waiting to hear his confession but he kept quiet.

She felt her cheeks getting wet with warm tears streaming through her eyes. She wanted to hate him from the heart and push him like people do but her stupid heart felt bad for him. She regretted instantly forcing him to pick the glass pieces knowing well he was clumsy. When he was trying his best, her mind was revolving around the situation why he would be doing it? Is there any other plan? Is there any plan for another revenge? Or maybe he want to insult her because she left him and asked for divorce which challenged his ego.

She bit her lower lip trying to control herself from breaking down in uncontrollable tears and screaming in pain as this pain is increasing with time. Slowly she realizes that time doesn't heal anything but keeps the pain the same until someone comes and touches the untouched part of the heart. She was trying to forget him by hating him in her memories but now after seeing him a part of her thinks what if they never separated?

She did feel bad for him and her heart was wrenched with pain on seeing his tears but those tears looked nothing to the pain she felt in these years. The pain of betrayal is much more than anything else. She can't trust him back again. Giving him a chance just because she can't see him crying would mean losing her self-respect. She can't lose her self-respect because that is the only reason she came here and stopped contacting anyone except Saba. Saba is her best friend and she knows Murtasim would have come here himself because Saba has seen the devasted side of her that day. The day he broke all the ties between them and put them into a situation where they were strangers.

Her eyes opened with a jolt when she heard a door opening sound and on opening her eyes she saw Hamza standing in front of her. His eyes turned red and his hand clenched into a fist. Meerab wiped her tears immediately looked at the file which she was reading before and closed the file.

"Aap yaha", Meerab asked

"Check your damn phone and time", Hamza yelled which made Meerab flinch she checked her mobile phone to see 23 missed calls from him and it is 11: 13 Pm already. She looked down feeling guilty for staying in her office for so long. Normally she comes home by 7 and if there is any case then she informs Hamza every time that she would be late but today she didn't. How could she when she is not mentally stable? Murtasim is here and her life took a 360⁰ turn after his arrival. She placed her phone back on the table to meet his red eyes which were threatening her.

"Sorry", she apologized looking at the ground which irritated him and he snapped at her saying "Just sorry?",

"Meerab tell me what happened?", he continued. Meerab turned her gaze and replied "Nothing". She walked towards the cabinet and opened it using her keys then came back towards her table and went back to keep those files safe. She locked the cabinet again and walked towards her purse to put the keys safe and picked up her purse and mobile phone to go back ignoring the topic as she didn't want to talk about Murtasim with him for now. When Meerab's feet halted Hamza pulled her towards himself angrily and pushed her to sit on her chair which made Meerab flinch. She is afraid to look into his eyes as she has never seen him this angry till today