36 : Ikraar

After knocking to let Ma Begum know how important it is to knock, Meerab went inside her room. When Ma Begum called, she turned to look down and saw her standing near the bed. Her heart started to pound loudly with anxiety because she had never been in this situation before. She had never been caught romancing with him before, and when they arrived, Ma Begum saw them. When silence fell over the room, she fidgeted with her fingers. Meerab had no idea why she had been summoned there.

"Sit," Ma Begum instructed, and Meerab nodded and sat on the bed. Ma Begum sat next to her, firmly holding her hand. Meerab experienced maternal affection.

"Murtasim ki galtio, mai bhi mafi mangti hu. I should not have forced you both to get married. I was bound by promise otherwise I knew Haya loved Murtasim. Rather than pressuring you two into marriage, I ought to have forced them to get married. I am glad that you both are happy together but if you are not happy then I don't have any issues if you divorce Murtasim", Meerab looked at her as her face lost colors after hearing the word divorce. She has tried to forget what happened in the past, but circumstances have forced her to remember the pain she has endured. Meerab removed her hand from Ma Begum's grip and stood up to leave, but Ma Begum grabbed her hand and drew her down.

"I was simply giving permission. May God keep your love safe from evil eyes. Stay happy and do not lose your love. I apologize for being so strict, but I do not want this relationship or me to cause you both any pain. It brings me joy to see you two together, and before I pass away, I want to see my grandchild. I want to ask you the same question that I asked him earlier. Could the two of you work on your marriage? Ma Begum enquired, "Do you love him?" Meerab started to respond, but she quickly stopped herself because she could not admit her love for him in front of her too. She looked towards the door hoping to see Murtasim, but she found herself alone in this situation. She glanced down to get courage because she wanted to confess her love for Murtasim to Ma Begum.

"You are leaving, but I will wait for you two to return together. As she spoke, Meerab looked down, embarrassed, remembering their moment. "I would love to see you both happy with your children," she said. She began to twitch her fingers.

"Yes, I do, and we will return shortly. Jau?" questioned Meerab.

When she returned, she saw that Murtasim was actually acting like he was sleeping on the bed because she could hear him giggling as she entered. She took her time approaching him and saw that his eyes were closed. A sinister thought flashed through her mind as she saw the glass of water on the table. She moved silently over to the table, picked up the glass, and took a slow step in his direction while covering her mouth with her other hand to contain her laughter.

She called his name, "Murtasim," and before he could respond, she splashed a full glass of water over his face and burst out laughing when he awoke.

"What is this ill-mannered behavior Meerab?" He exclaimed angrily and wiped his face with his hand.

Sarcastically, Meerab remarked, "This is water and I will make your life hell if you leave me alone in this embarrassing situation again."

"How many children is she expecting?" Murtasim teased her, and Meerab felt the tables had turned because she thought she would irritate him, but he is now irritating her by asking such an embarrassing question.

"Go and ask," she remarked mockingly.

He answered in the same tone, "I will ask on call," and picked up his phone to pretend to call his mother. Meerab thought this was real, so she threw his phone on the bed. However, the cell phone unintentionally bounced and landed on the floor. His mobile phone lay on the other side of the bed, its screen cracked, and he sprinted to investigate. He turned off his phone and pretended that it was dead even though it was still functional.