XIV. Brooklynn Jinxes The Campers, And Eva Concludes Everyone Has Daddy Issues

Chapter Fourteen: Brooklynn Jinxes The Campers, And Eva Concludes Everyone Has Daddy Issues

~~~

"Hurry!"

The campers followed Darius up one of the staircases and past the spectator stands.

Kenji, Sammy, Brooklynn and Eva dashed for the stairs that led to the monorail boarding, but quickly froze in their tracks, eyes locked on Toro, who had his back turned to them. A hand tugged Eva back behind the wall. She slid down into a squat, knees up in the air, and her bottom an inch off the ground.

Brooklynn put out a hand, stopping Darius as he ran up. Darius quietly peered around the wall at Toro. He turned back quickly, panting. A moment passed and he looked around the corner again. He whispered to the campers, "Move," and ran out into the open to the next staircase.

Eva didn't move, but then again, neither did anyone else. They all waited in anticipation, in fear. Eva fell on her ass as she gripped the sleeves of her hoodie. She pulled her knees closer, resting her chin atop them.

Why was she so terrified? This was just one dinosaur. Sure, it probably would try to eat them, but she could totally outrun it, right? One dinosaur, and they're on the monorail. One dinosaur, and she's headed towards her salvation. But then she's reminded of the white dinosaur— the Indominus Rex, that has been eating people and wreaking havoc all day.

Everyone stood, even Ben, and got ready to run. Eva scrunched her eyes shut, shaking her head. There was no possible way she'd run past a dinosaur that wanted to eat them.

But to get to the monorail— that's safe.

Eva groaned.

A rock clattered to the side, and Toro happily went to go check it out.

A hand wrapped around Eva's wrist, words falling deaf on her ears, "Come on, we have to move!"

The hands hauled her to her feet and pushed her forward. She stumbled, before realizing where she was and what was happening, and ran for the stairs.

She kept a close eye on Toro as she ducked down and began climbing the stairs on all fours. The others easily followed suit.

In front of Eva, Bumpy knocked a paper cup down the stairs. Brooklynn fumbled before eventually catching it. Brooklynn and Kenji reached the top first.

The monorail pulled to a stop at the boarding station. Eva looked back to see Toro at the bottom of the stairs, clueless of their presence. She also noticed Yasmina falling behind. If only she had something to wrap her ankle with...

"Welcome to the Jurassic World Lagoon. Next stop, Ferry Landing!"

Toro roared, and Eva didn't have to look back to know he had spotted them. Eva stood, taking the steps two at a time. She was at the top in a matter of seconds.

Toro started up the stairs, biting and clamping his jaws at Ben and Yaz. He slipped, his body slamming into the staircase. Yaz fell as the stairs shook. Eva bit her tongue hard enough to draw blood, eyes flitting between Yaz, Toro, and the monorail. Darius ran down to help. She sighed as she sprung forward, back down the staircase after him.

"Please stand clear of the closing doors," The automated voice said.

She was slightly faster than him, hurling herself down the stairs two at a time. Hand on either railing, Eva swung her foot forward, kicking Toro in the snout. Her hands desperately grasped Yasmina— her arms, sleeves— hauling her to her feet.