L. To The P-House!

Chapter Fifty:  To The P-House!

~~~

"Hurry up, Eva!" Kenji shouted from above. "With the engine off, we're gonna get swept out to sea or smashed on the rocks!"

Eva tore a piece of duct tape off with her teeth, then muttered, "WiTh tHe eNgInE OfF, We'Re GoNnA gEt SwEPt oUt tO SeA Or SmaSHeD oN tHe RoCkS."

"Did you just mock me?!"

"No!" Eva called up to him, innocently.

Yes, yes she did mock him. She was dangling by a rope over the side of the boat to duct tape the hole shut, and here Kenji was, yelling at her.

"You know what? Yes I did mock you, because you yelled at me!"

"Ugh, we should have sent down Darius. He's smaller," she heard Yaz say.

"Hey!" Eva and Kenji both shouted at her.

"So, why are you two fighting again?" Sammy asked innocently, but most likely to take the attention off of Yaz. "Did something happen?"

"No!" They both shouted.

"No."

"No!"

"Eva!"

"Kenji!"

Okay, so they still weren't over the whole almost-barely-a-kiss thing. It had been a good six hours since they were "officially adrift" and despite neither of them saying anything, there was a budding tension growing between the two.

"Ooh, something happened," Yaz said.

"Juicy! One of you better spill the deets with me!" Sammy added.

"Nothing happened!" Eva snapped.

"Yeah, nothing at all," Kenji said.

Now what did that mean? Did he want something to happen, or was he just being his cruel, before-the-P-house-but-after-the-incident self?

What the fuck was happening? Eva missed the time before the boat incident. She missed hanging out with Kenji like they were best friends— like the entire night previous. She wished she could go back to that— dinosaur attack and all— if it meant erasing the kiss.

Eva sighed. She placed one last stretch of duct tape over the hole, then wore the duct tape roll around her wrist, and called up to her friends to tell them to pull her up. They slowly heaved her up, and Yaz gave her a hand over the siderail. Eva dropped to her knees, immediately looking for Kenji. He wasn't on the lower deck, and she realized with a start that she was doing the one thing she promised she wouldn't do that morning after the kiss.

"Hey, we gotta fix that hole, or the gas will be the least of our problems," Darius said.

Eva thought of Brooklynn and Darius, and how cute they would look together, to distract herself from thinking of Kenji. She had to fix whatever was happening with her best friend, and fast.

"I thought having no GPS was the least of our problems," Kenji said as he slid down the ladder from the second deck.

"Yeah, and uh, not to add to the doom and gloom, but..." Yaz stopped as the boat shook. "Pretty sure we're also sinking..."