LXII. Who Would Grieve If They Died At Sea?

Chapter Sixty Two:  Who Would Grieve If They Died At Sea?

~~~

Eva made her way to the main cabin, the one sporting the bedroom, where she knew a connected bathroom was. "Hey!" She shouted as she entered the room.

Sammy yelped, falling backward onto her ass while Yaz breathed in sharply.

"Really, Eva?"

"Chill, I'm just here to brush my teeth," she said as she sauntered into the bathroom, on the hunt for some toothpaste. After procuring the tube, she pushed a pea-sized dot on her finger and began finger-brushing her teeth.

The boat rocked aggressively to the side once, nearly throwing Eva off balance.

"Did you guys feel that?!" Ben shouted from somewhere outside.

"Do you see it?" Sammy asked, in reference to the compy they were still hunting. "I don't see it. Okay, where to next?"

"Uh, just a sec," Yaz said, stopping her.

Eva spat the toothpaste into the sink, then rinsed her mouth twice. She froze in the bathroom, letting Yaz tell Sammy whatever she had to tell her without interrupting.

"I know you're having a hard time, uh, saying goodbye, and I, uh, wanted to make it easier... I drew a picture of all of us from day one of the ferry ride over. I couldn't remember everything and it could be better, but here," she rushed out.

It was silent for several moments before Sammy squealed. "Oh, Yaz!"

Eva peeked out of the bathroom to see the two girls hugging. Yeah, they'd definitely be really cute together.

"You can get everyone to put their deets on it," Yaz told her.

"Speed, strength, brains, a bright artistic future? What doesn't this girl have? Eva, come here. You have to see what Yaz made!"

"Coming!" she chirped before emerging from the tiny room.

Sammy held a drawing of the seven of them up, all decked out in clean clothes, posed on the ferry that took them to the island six months ago. Eva felt nostalgia staring at it, thinking back to that version of her that was fearless, and hated Kenji with her entire being. Oh, how times have changed. She may have been strong back then, but she'd been through so much, isn't it fair to say she's stronger now?

"I love it," she said with complete adoration. "Damn, Yaz. Sammy's right, you're a damn badass."

Yaz chuckled nervously, thanking her.

Sammy picked up a pen off the bedside table. "Okay, you first. Phone number and social media handle."

Eva grinned, plucking the pen from her friend's grasp. She wrote her name on the back of the paper, with her phone number and her instagram and snapchat handles underneath.

"Spotted skunk skiing twenty nine?" Sammy questioned, reading her handwriting.

"Skunks are really cute, and skiing is a lot of fun," Eva explained. "I really want a skunk as a pet."

Yasmina quirked an eyebrow. "Weird flex, but okay."

"Look up spotted skunks when we get internet, okay?" She said, a smile gracing her lips. "I swear, you won't regret it."