XC. Defending The Territory

Chapter Ninety:  Defending The Territory

~~~

"Hey."

Eva narrowed her eyes at him, her arms crossing over her chest, her hands curling and uncurling into fists.

"You guys have every right to be mad at me."

"You think?"

"Thanks for the permission," Eva sneered.

"Trust me, I get it," Ben said. "He messed up."

"Oh, is that what we're calling it?" Yaz snapped.

"He betrayed us. He disappointed us. He practically left us for dead." Kenji interrupted him, clearing his throat. "But, he knows it was a mistake. He helped save Bumpy. And, in my eyes, that's enough for a second chance. Plus, considering what and who we're up against, we're gonna need all the help we can get."

Darius glared at Kenji, then walked away. Kenji watched his retreating figure before turning back to the girls.

"I- I know there's not some magical thing I can say that will make everything right again. I am so, so sorry. I had this idea of who my dad was, or who I wanted him to be. I kept telling myself, 'he's not a bad guy.'" Kenji scoffed, "Turns out I was wrong. Me. Wrong. Shocking, I know."

Kenji slowly approached the girls, until he stopped in front of Eva.

"Angel—"

Eva's lip curled in disgust. "You don't get to call me that." Her hand curled into a fist at her side, then uncurled.

Kenji sported a crestfallen look. "Eva—"

A harsh slap cut him short.

He grabbed his face, groaning in pain. Eva shook out her hand, the sting against her burns growing itchy and painful.

"Oh shit," Yaz gaped.

"I— I deserve that."

"How could you ever think I'd forgive you just like that?" Eva scoffed, her eyes beginning to burn, but no, she did not want to cry right now. "After everything you and I have been through, you... you... I thought I finally figured out who you were."

"I'm still the same me." He reached out, but Eva took a step backwards. "I'll prove it to you. No matter how long it takes."

She scoffed again, a single tear slipping down her cheek. "Yeah, right."

Sammy rushed forward, pulling Kenji into a hug that lifted him off his feet. "Oh, I have so much to tell you! First, I have a new catchphrase, and it is controversial! Next, I've changed my mind about the best day of the week. It's Tuesday. Oh, also, I have a girlfriend, now!"

"Wait, wh-what?"

Yaz slid over to her side. "It's me. I'm the girlfriend. Welcome back, Kenj."

Kenji laughed, bringing the two girls into a hug, Eva rolling her eyes. "Finally! Sammy and Yaz! Oh, we- we should call you—"

"You're too late," Brooklynn chimed in. "Eva already pronounced them as Yasammy."

Eva scoffed— though not at Brooklynn— and turned away, sitting down in the grass. She grabbed a handful, ripping it from the dirt, and sliding it between her hands. Her hands shook as she scrunched her eyes shut, silently begging them to quit moving. Her eyes stung, and she aggressively wiped away any tears she was feeling. She would not cry.