XXXIII. Dream a Little Dream of Me

Chapter Thirty Three: Dream a Little Dream of Me

~~~

Eva dropped her berries as Kenji's hand latched around her wrist, pulling her away from the berry bush she was at and out into the jungle.

"What the—" A dinosaur roared close by, and Eva groaned, the two taking to running from the new threat.

The two teenagers glanced over their shoulders, both sighing at the fact that the dinosaur was indeed chasing them.

"Run, run, run!" He shouted quickly, leading the way through the thick underbrush.

"What do you think I'm doing?!" Eva snapped.

She slid around a tree, her feet slick in the mud as she all but face planted.

Kenji spun his arms dramatically in a circle, breaking to a stop a few feet from her. He ran back, grabbing a disoriented Eva by the wrists and hauled her to her feet.

The dinosaur— one neither Eva or Kenji recognized, roared loudly. It took a snap at them just as Kenji pushed Eva forward, the two collapsing in the mud again.

Eva spit mud out of her mouth, slipping as she pushed her hands into the mushy ground, rising to her feet once more. She grabbed Kenji's hand, pulling him to his feet.

The two took off running, slipping and sliding as they went. The dinosaur stayed close behind them, its heavy footsteps drawing nearer and nearer.

Eva shoved Kenji to the left of a tree as she dove around the right side, climbing to her feet once more.

"Is it still there?" Kenji cried, the two taking off running again.

Eva glanced over her shoulder, a sob cracking through her throat. "Why?" she cried. "Keep going— just... keep going..."

They continued through the dark forest, patches of sunlight illuminating their path. In the distance, they could vaguely hear the sound of rushing water. Eva was quick to lead the way, headed for the river.

Her heart beat viciously in her chest, sweat coating her forehead and arms.

"You see that vine?"' Eva shouted behind her.

"That sounds like a terrible idea!" Kenji shouted back.

The two came up on the river, Eva rushing forward and jumping, her hands latching around the vine. It held her weight, and a moment later, she was letting go, landing on the other side.

When she turned around, Kenji was still on the other side, nervously looking at the only way across.

"Um, maybe—"

"Just jump!" Eva snapped. She peered around his body, the dinosaur that was chasing them running full speed at Kenji. Her eyes widened. "It's the vine, or the dinosaur, Kenji!"

He looked behind him, yelping at the sight of the carnivore running straight for him. He hesitated, bouncing between the vine hanging over the river and the rocks cutting through the water a dozen meters down. Finally, he backed up, running for the vine.

His hand latched around the thick green plant, swinging himself forward.

The dinosaur reached the river, reaching out its neck and snapping its jaw just as Kenji let go, falling into Eva.