LVIII. Fight or Flight

Chapter Fifty Eight:  Fight or Flight

~~~

"Sunrise."

"We're not leaving without them, no matter what," Kenji said, laying a hand on Brooklynn's shoulder.

"Look," Eva whispered, nodding her head at the rustling bushes.

"Darius! Ben! Told you we'd never leave you guys!"

The bushes continued to rustle, until out popped the Scorpios Rex, sniffing around, not yet seeing the five teenagers on the boat at the end of the dock.

"G-guys?"

"Kenji, start the boat..." Eva instructed. When he hesitated, his eyes locked on the monster hybrid, Eva yelled his name, "Kenji!"

"O-on it!" He said before taking off, pulling the boat away from the docks, away from the reach of the dinosaur.

Eva headed up to the bridge just as Kenji stopped the boat, far enough away from the docks that even if the thing could swim, it wouldn't be able to see them.

"How are we going to get Ben and Darius now?" Eva whispered, crossing her arms over her chest as she shivered slightly, although she was not cold.

"We'll go back for them," Kenji said. "We just have to wait for the Scorpios to leave the scene, first."

Eva sighed, "But how long will that take?"

She was worried for her two friends, but she was also worried for Brooklynn, who she left pacing the bow, wringing her hands as she walked. For all the times they've been chased by dinosaurs and outran dino attacks, Eva had never seen Brooklynn more worried for Darius than she was now. And she had no idea how to reassure her he— they both would be okay.

~~~

"Awe man, I left my captain's hat in the limo."

"Uh, Kenji? I think we have slightly bigger problems," Yaz said with an eye roll.

"I know, I know. We're heading back to the dock. Hopefully the Scorpios has cleared out by now."

"How's Brooklynn?" Eva asked.

"On edge," Yaz responded. "But she's stopped pacing, thank god. She just seems really worried for Darius, you know?"

Eva nodded before heading down to her pink haired friend's side. "Brooklynn!" she shouted, though her friends kept her eyes on the island. Eva stopped beside her, leaning against the railing of the boat. The scent of sea blew strongly with the wind, whipping their hair. "Hey, how you holding up?"

"What if they got to the docks, and saw we weren't there? What if they got to the docks, and the scorpios was still there, and it attacked them? Eva, every single bad scenario is running through my head and I can't stop them. I don't know what to do."

"Okay, come here." Eva turned to Brooklynn and led her to the other side of the boat, where they were alone. "Do me a favor. Breathe in— good, now hold it. Hold it... Hold it. Breathe out."

Brooklynn blew out her cheeks, looking up to Eva curiously.

"Darius is just about the smartest person on this island, and I know you know that," Eva said. "I also know that he knows how to take care of himself, and he and Ben are very capable when it comes to surviving dinosaurs. I know the Scorpios Rex is harsher, more dangerous, more unstable. But Darius and Ben know what they're doing. They know how to run, they know how to hide, and if it comes to it, they know how to fight.