LIV. Captain Kenj to Dariusaurus

Chapter Fifty Four:  Captain Kenj to Dariusaurus

~~~

"Oh, hey Yaz, can I join you on your—"

"I wanna run alone."

"Cool. Cool, cool, cool. I will take a nap, then."

Yasmina shot her a wink, then took off.

A few minutes later, Ben shouted he was going to go find Bumpy, and Darius was headed back to camp, which left Kenji and Eva alone on the yacht.

Eva found Kenji up in the bridge, surveying the damage for the millionth time. "Hey..."

Kenji briefly glanced over his shoulder. "Hey, Angel."

Eva bit her bottom lip, entering the bridge carefully. Her eyes were filled with hope, watching her best friend dig around the controls. "Whatchya up to?"

"This place is a wreck," he said, fiddling with some wires. "Really, they couldn't have left it nicer? Any nicer?" he bit, seemingly stressed.

Eva nodded, "You wanna take a nap with me?"

"I want to fix this stupid thing so we can get home safely."

She nodded again. "But uh, nap first?"

Kenji finally turned to face her, his chest rising and falling heavily. He looked tired, exhausted, and not just physically. He looked how Eva felt at the moment— like there was no hope.

His lips slowly grew into a smile, looking Eva up and down.

"The chairs on the deck, or the entertainment room couch?"

She smiled, "Let's go to the deck. It's nice out right now."

She took off before Kenji could say anything.

Slipping off her shoes, she sat on one half of the chair, a pair of sunglasses she found on the ground on her nose. She closed her eyes, relaxing in the warmth of the sun.

A few moments later, just when Eva thought Kenji wasn't coming, she heard his footsteps come up the bow of the ship. He shuffled over, slipping off his shoes and taking a seat on the other half of the chair.

Eva patted the back of the chair with the back of her hand. "Have a seat, Kenji. We have the boat to ourselves. May as well make the most of it."

"The boat to ourselves, and you want to take a nap? We could do something else..."

Eva sat forward as she pushed her sunglasses to the top of her head and repositioned her glasses on the bridge of her nose. "Like what?"

Kenji snorted.

"What?"

"You look like a dork."

Eva pouted.

"A very cute dork," he corrected himself, a blush creeping up his neck.

"Awe, you think I'm cute?" she teased, butterflies attacking her gut.

Kenji nodded slightly— so slightly, Eva nearly missed it. "You could say I'm cute."

"You're not cute."

Kenji shovered her shoulder, and Eva fell off the chair.

"You're pretty!" she defended from the ground. "Did you really have to push me?"