His Party

Radley

Laughter.

Ducking further down, I tried to hide below the window, tried to keep myself hidden from the people inside the ballroom. Back pressed against the side of the mansion, I froze, ears open, listening for footsteps.

More laughter.

Pausing, I listened again, ears straining, trying to decipher between noises.

After staying still for a couple of minutes, I decided that no one was coming out and I raised my head again to peer at the people through the window.

From this vantage point crouched down low under the window, I could see that the huge ballroom beyond the glass had been decorated beautifully. Blue coloured balloons hung from the ceiling. Large blue and white flower arrangements were placed on each table. Twinkling fairy lights were wrapped around each pillar, with the main lights dimmed, casting a soft glow across the room, adding a romantic feel to the atmosphere.

All the people in the room were dressed immaculately. It was a sea of ball gowns and dinner jackets. Bowties and clicking heels. Beautiful women and handsome men.

Laughter and upbeat music filled the air. Even though the windows separating the main room and the outside were closed, I could still hear the excitement and enthusiasm in the chatter. The atmosphere was buzzing with anticipation.

Unable to stop the shiver as the wind blew past, bringing a chill with it, forcing me to huddle further into my coat. The autumn air had a bite to it tonight, chasing away the last of the summer. The clouds were clearing to reveal the full moon, bright in the sky.

Shoving my hands deeper into my pockets, I realised I'd forgotten my gloves and couldn't stop the cold night air nipping at my fingers. I could see my breath as I opened my mouth to blow warm air against the window that had become fogged up. My teeth chattered as I rubbed a cold hand across the glass of the window so that I could see better.

Excited giggles. Chatter. Music.

Scrunching up my nose, I heaved a sigh. It seemed that everyone from the town had been invited to this party. Through the crowds of people inside, I could see many familiar faces. The neighbours, whose garden was adjacent to mine. The older man, who owned the main store where me and my aunt buy our groceries. The kind lady, who ran the coffee shop that I quite often go to for lunch.

They were all here, looking elegant in their evening wear.

And here I was, standing outside in the chilly autumn night, feeling left out and cold. The fact that me and Claudia were deliberately not invited to whatever party this was sent a chill down my spine, making me feel colder.

No one really included me in anything.

They were always nice to me.

But they didn't want to include me, be seen with me.

I really didn't know why I was surprised to find another celebration going on without me. It happened all the time. So why did this one hurt more than the others before it?

Sighing again, I slid down to my knees, then turned around so that my back was pressed against the cold hard brick of the mansion. I let myself slide down further so that I was sitting on my butt, and then brought my knees up to my chest, laying my chin on them and tucking my hands into my lap, trying to keep them warm.

I knew Claudia would be angry if she found out I was here, watching these people, getting upset.

Again.

Heaving a sigh in despair, I let my eyes sweep over the wet grass in front of me, the soft lights of the ballroom spilling out of the windows to catch the dew on the lawn, making the drops glisten against the black of the night sky.