Their Mansion

Radley

Leaning forward on the windowsill, I glanced out of the large window, my eyes taking in the huge back garden at the back of the mansion.

Although the words 'back garden' really didn't describe what looked like a field.

An enormous field.

I could see quite a few people in what looked like gym clothes, practising some sort of martial arts on each other. Kicks, punches ... Some even threw their opponents over their shoulder and I watched with wide eyes as the opponent swiftly jumped to their feet, ready to go again.

Impressive.

A pair of hands squeezed my shoulders and I held my breath, aware of Alaric standing right behind me.

Oh my god.

His warm breath fanned across the back of my and it was taking everything in me to not lean back and snuggle into his wide chest. Straightening up, I took a small step towards the window, the toes of my boots grazing the wall under the windowsill.

Alaric was standing close to me.

Too close.

So I needed to put a bit of distance between us. Even the tiniest bit would help.

His fingers kneaded my shoulders through my t-shirt and I gulped, trying to concentrate on my breathing.

"Radley." His voice was soft. "I have to ask you something."

Taking a deep breath, I nodded and shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans to stop them from reaching up and holding his hands.

I had not been prepared for today.

Not prepared for walking into town with Alaric Wolsey. For feeling his eyes on me. For having his complete attention. For having everyone else watching us.

And they had been.

Everyone we had walked passed had stopped to greet Alaric, then stare as they saw me standing next to him. Alaric had made a point of stopping to speak to everyone too, and when he noticed their eyes on me, he'd grab my arm and pull me closer to him.

"Thought I'd take Radley for a walk, show him around," he'd said, while smiling down at me, his eyes on my lips, his arm snaking around my waist. "I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him from now."

It felt as though there was another meaning in there somewhere ... but I didn't understand it or him.

It had been ... too much.

He was too much.

I couldn't think. Couldn't speak. My voice didn't want to work. My heart wanted to beat out of my chest and straight into his hands and as for his scent ...

Oh god.

His scent ... His delicious scent of leather and oak consumed me, filled my nose, my head, making it hard to think, hard to breathe.

"Did you have any visitors last night?" Alaric's voice broke through my thoughts.

Oh.

A chill ran through my body as Orion's handsome face crossed my mind.

"Uh ..." Should I lie? I mean, we were breaking the rules last night. Orion had been outside when he shouldn't have been. If I said something to Alaric, would that get Orion into trouble? As well as the person Orion knew in the town?

"You won't be in any trouble if you did." Alaric's voice was at my ear. His fingers dug deeper into my shoulders and I winced.

"No," I muttered, gritting my teeth at the lie.