Our Friendship

Radley

Pacing.

Up and down my bedroom floor.

The bedside lamp softly illuminated the bedroom, and I watched my shadow move along the wall.

Claudia retired to bed a while ago, and I kept glancing out of my bedroom window, my heart jumping excitedly in anticipation. But all I could see outside was ... the dark. The night sky. I could barely make out the shapes of the trees surrounding our back garden.

The clouds were covering the moon, and showering down raindrops. As I moved to sit on my bed, I could hear the pitter patter of the rain against the window, the soft brush of tree branches as they were blown by the wind.

My heart was thumping wildly in my chest and my cheeks felt like they were on fire. I was looking forward to seeing Orion again ... and a little scared of being caught.

Were we doing something wrong? I mean, I knew Conri had put a curfew in place as he wanted everyone to stay at home ... but Orion wouldn't be outside. He would be here.

In my house.

With me.

A shiver ran along my spine and I felt a little lightheaded.

Oh my god.

I leaned forward, pressing my elbows into my knees and my hand dropped in my hands.

Maybe I shouldn't have suggested anything. What if ... we do get caught? What if someone sees Orion sneak into my house? What if Claudia wakes up? I mean, she can sleep quite heavily sometimes, but what if she's sleeping lightly tonight? I had no way of knowing.

What if ...

A knock to the window.

I jumped to my feet and rushed over to the window, my heart leaping excitedly. Looking around the back garden, I squinted, trying to make out the shapes of the trees, the outline of the bushes, the silhouette of a human ...

Wait ...

What?

Pressing my forehead to the glass, I watched as Orion waved at me, his figure barely visible in the darkness against the backdrop of the trees. I waved back, feeling a smile tug at my lips. My cheeks heated as my heart continued to crash against my ribs.

He gestured with his hands, before disappearing from my view. Frowning, I scanned the backyard, trying to spot him again, looking for anything that moved.

The rain splashing against the window didn't make it easier. I tried to look between the raindrops sticking to the window, but it was pointless. I couldn't see anything.

Stupid weather.

Sighing, I grabbed the handle of the window, opened it ... and was immediately hit in the face by large fat raindrops.

Ugh.

Stepping back to wipe my cheeks, I barely noticed as Orion slithered into the open window to sit on the window sill, dripping wet.

I took a step back, and wiped at my eyes again.

Orion swung his legs around so that his boots were resting on the carpet, his long legs were wrapped in black jeans and a thick dark coat was hugging his body.

He grinned at me as he ran a hand through his curls, causing water droplets to trickle down his face.

Just ...

Oh ...

Wow.

My cheeks heated even more and I tried to swallow.