His Eyes

Orion

Back in the cell.

I sat on the pathetic excuse for a bed once more and leaned forward, pressing my elbows into my knees.

At least this time they had turned on the light. But all it did was highlight the dark walls, wet floor, and flat mattress.

What time was it? Pretty sure it was the same day. I had no idea how long I'd been in here. After the younger Alpha's outburst earlier, the older Alpha had taken him out of the windowless room where I'd been tied to a chair, and I hadn't seen either of them since.

The way the younger Alpha had looked at me earlier played across my mind, the images causing my skin at my scalp to prickle and warm my chest.

Alaric.

Thick blonde hair. Deep blue eyes. Tall. Strong. No doubt his training regime was tougher than that of a regular warrior as he was the next in line to take over as pack leader. As if I would fight him anyway.

I thought he was ... mesmerising. I'd seen him before, obviously. Around the pack. At Radley's house. Although I'd thought he was good looking back then, my mind had been on other things that day. Like how close he'd been to Radley. Caressing his face. Standing near him. I'd never really gotten a really good look at Alaric because my focus had been on Radley back then.

But now, after seeing Alaric close up ... I thought he was just down right fucking gorgeous.

And ... I was his? I mean, I was pretty sure I knew what it meant, but ... wait. No. It couldn't be.

No.

I was human, for fucks' sake.

I couldn't be ... in that way.

Shaking my head, I glanced over at the sandwich and glass of water placed next to me on the mattress. At least these wolves wanted to feed me. They hadn't tortured me back in that windowless room. I still had all my limbs. And now they'd given me food. Those were all good signs, right?

Dad hadn't said anything about this sort of torture. How he'd described torture in the past ... it hadn't involved sandwiches.

Fuck.

What would happen now? I wasn't so sure they would kill me, not after Alaric's stake of claim over me, but that didn't mean I would be allowed to walk away. Surely the older Alpha would be planning something. And whatever it was probably wouldn't weigh in my favour.

Sighing, I leaned forward a little more. To think that I was going to make Alaric my next target after I realised that I couldn't hurt Radley ...

I couldn't hurt Alaric. Not now.

Fuck.

It was looking likely I wouldn't have any kind of target in this pack.

Rubbing my hands over my face, I froze as I heard a click.

Someone had unlocked a door somewhere down here.

Footsteps.

Hurried.

Soft.

Almost as if they were trying to keep quiet. Like maybe they shouldn't be down here.

Straightening up a little and folding my arms over my chest, trying to appear unthreatened or even bored, I stared at the bars straight ahead, waiting to see who was paying me a visit, concentrating on evening out my breathing.

I knew I was the only prisoner they had. The other cells were quiet. Empty. Even though the guards had shoved a hood over my head once more to lead me back here, I hadn't heard any other sounds in these cells.