My Questions

Enzo

"Dad!"

My father slowed down, and spared me a glance over his shoulder, before walking away from the bunker, from the intruder I'd caught on the pack lands only the other night.

"You can't show any sort of emotion when questioning an intruder, Enzo," he scolded as he wrapped his coat around his body, trying to keep out the biting cold of the wind that blew around us, pushing dead leaves along the woodland floor. "It makes you weak. Gives enemies something to hold over you."

"But, Dad ..."

Dad stopped and spun around to face me, his cheeks pink with the chill of the wind. "Enzo, I know you liked Tala," I lowered my gaze, the heat of tears pricking the back of my eyes, making me blink, "but you have to keep it together. Intruders, hunters, prisoners ... they will use others to get to you ... pack members, your mate, and anyone else you care about." I felt him squeeze my shoulder as I wiped my nose. "I've seen it happen. And I don't want it to happen to you." He sighed, his hand squeezing a little more. "I brought you along to give you a bit of training. And it seems that you may need a little more."

Hurt stung my heart, making my chest squeeze. I wasn't sure what hurt more ... the thought of Tala or the fact I'd felt as though I'd let my Dad down.

I knew I still had a lot to learn. After all, I was going to be Beta to this large pack. I had to be ... well, more than I was already. My job would be to help Alaric, stand in when he needed me.

If I couldn't hold it together with a prisoner ...

My father wiped a stray tear from my cheek, before ruffling my hair.

"Come on, son," he muttered as he draped an arm around my shoulders. "Let's get back to the mansion. There's a lot going on there at the moment."

My ears pricked up, as did my wolf's, and I looked over at my dad. "What is going on, Dad? You never told me when I asked you before."

Dad sighed, then ran a hand over his short dark grey hair. He started walking along the path that cut through the woods, pulling me along with him, a guard walking right behind us, keeping a watch over his Beta.

"I'm not sure myself, to be honest." Dad shook his head. "Conri sent me a message over the mind link, saying he had something to sort out with Alaric, and asked if I could question the hunter a little more. Find out what his relationship with Radley was."

"How do we know he's telling the truth?" That had been bugging me.

"He was." Dad shrugged. "You know as well as I do how to know when someone is lying." He shot me a sideways glance. "Was he lying?"

Casting my mind back to the bunker, I remembered hearing the hunter's steady heart beat, his bored expression, his steady breathing. He seemed as though he really wasn't interested in being in the pack ...

But the way he'd reacted once Radley's name had been mentioned ...

"He really knows Radley, doesn't he?" I realised out loud.

Dad nodded. "Yeah. He does."

"And he's mated to Alaric?" Still couldn't get that out of my head.

Dad blew out a breath. "Yeah, he is."

"But I thought -" I clamped a hand over my mouth. I nearly gave away Alaric's big secret. No one else knew he was mated to Radley. I had nearly said something to the hunter back in the bunker.

So, that meant that my future Alpha had ... two mates? Two Lunas?

Wait ... would a guy be called a Luna? Or was it a Lune?