Their Visit

Radley

The knock at the door was unexpected.

We never had visitors. Well, hardly ever anyway.

I glanced at Claudia, who frowned back at me, a questioning look on her face. We were both sitting in the living room watching a comedy movie, trying to cheer ourselves up after yesterday's shocking news. The feeling of grief still seemed to be weighing heavily on us, sitting on our shoulders, fogging our minds.

We had both known Tala. She had always seemed popular, well-liked. So I had no idea why anyone would ... would ... well, you know ...

Sniffing, I got up from the comfy armchair I was curled up in, feeling Claudia's eyes on me as I left the living room and walked along the hallway to the front door.

Taking a deep breath, I opened the door ... and stopped.

Alaric and Conri stood on the doorstep, both wrapped up against the cold wind that blew a chilly breeze through the open door and into the house.

Although both men stood on the front porch, it was Alaric that had caught my attention. My heart knocked excitedly in my chest as I felt heat flood my cheeks. His light blonde hair was wind swept, brushing across his forehead. His square jaw was tense, almost as if he was gritting his teeth and his eyes ... his eyes ... just ...

A cough brought my attention back to the guy standing next to him.

Conri smiled at me. "Radley. How are you?" Unlike the other day, his smile seemed genuine this time, reaching his eyes, his expression warm.

"I'm okay," I muttered, glancing at Alaric, then back to his father, my heart rate picking up fiercely as I felt the younger alpha's eyes on me.

Conri looked around the front porch. "It's a cold day. Are both you and Claudia keeping warm?"

Huh?

I nodded, my eyes flickering to Alaric again. He was staring right back at me, his stance rigid, his shoulders hunched, but his face soft.

"May we come in?" Conri asked, gesturing with his hand.

Oh.

Nodding again, I held the door open further, standing aside as Conri entered the house, his eyes sweeping the hallway. Alaric was a few steps behind his father, and his arm brushed against mine as he walked past, his eyes never leaving my face.

His stare was intense. I think ... I think I liked it.

Swallowing, I closed the door, willing my heart to stop racing. The material of my hoodie that had touched Alaric felt like it was on fire and I had the sudden urge to jump into his arms.

Oh crap.

Taking a deep breath, I spun around as Conri pointed to the living room door. "Is Claudia in there?"

I nodded, not trusting my voice at all.

Conri smiled again and then walked through the door. Not a second later, I heard him greet Claudia just as warmly as he had done with me.

I cast my gaze to the other man standing next to me, very aware of how close he was. My cheeks heated again and I quickly averted my eyes, my skin prickling.

"Hi Radley." Alaric's voice was deep, raspy. The sound sent electric shots shooting along my spine. I looked back up at him and he smiled at me, the grin making his eyes glitter in the low light of the hallway.

My jeans started to tighten and I pulled at the hem of my hoodie.

Oh god. I couldn't have ... this ... right now.