Their Beta

Orion

The large sandy coloured wolf stared at me, snarling, baring his teeth, the fur around his neck standing up.

Whereas I hadn't been surprised to have been brought back to the windowless room where I'd been questioned yesterday, I was a little shocked to see one of the guards shift into his wolf.

Trying to school my face, to fake boredom, I tried to remember what Dad had told me in one of his many 'lessons' ... about when a guard shifts into their wolf ...Was it the end for me?

Fuck.

I couldn't remember. Maybe I hadn't been listening properly that day. But my dad would know exactly what to do, what to say.

Dad.

Wonder what he was thinking as I hadn't reported in with him last night. Would he even realise that I hadn't called him? He was a man obsessed with wolves ... the fact that his only child hadn't called last night probably wouldn't be on his list of top priorities. He hardly ever called me.

A quick glance around the room told me there were just as many guards in here as there was before. All of them standing to attention, watching me, waiting to see what I would do.

I couldn't do anything. My hands were tied behind my back and I'd been shoved into this chair again.

The only thing I could do was wait.

Wait and see what these wolves wanted from me this time.

Wonder if I'll see Alaric today ...

What did he mean last night when he said that Radley was his? His ... what? Pack member? Well, yeah, I knew that.

But ... why had it sounded so ... possessive?

Alaric had told me that I was his, in just the same way he'd claimed that Radley was, too.

Did that mean ... Were we both ... mated to Alaric? Was that even possible?

The sandy coloured wolf growled again and I cocked a brow in his direction. I hadn't moved. Hadn't even blinked. And he was still growling at me.

Seriously, was this wolf on a power trip or something?

"That's enough!" A voice boomed across the room, forcing the wolf in front of me to stop growling. "Stand down!"

The wolf backed away, his nose lowered, his ears flat, his tail between his legs.

Calm measured footsteps walked across the room from the door behind me. I held my breath and concentrated on controlling my heart beat.

The pack's Beta came into view, followed by his son.

What were their names again?

The older man nodded at the guards in the room, as if silently telling them that he was in charge. Where was the Alpha?

Where was Alaric?

"Orion, is it?" The Beta cocked his head as he stood facing me, his hands in the pockets of his jeans, the shadow of a smirk on his face.

He looked like a cocky asshole.

I just stared at him.

He rolled his eyes and folded his arms over his wide chest, leaning his back against the wall in front of me. His son stood next to him, a scowl on his face, his hands balled into fists by his sides.

The Beta sighed. "I've got some questions for you. And you will answer them if you want to escape this room with your life." He raised his brows. "Okay?"